Chapter 8

"We're here," Zhongli nodded approvingly as he soaked in their surroundings.  "The hidden pools of Huaguang Stone Forest."

"I never would have guessed something like this was hidden here," Aether marveled at the sight before him.  "This world truly is beautiful."

Indeed it was.  Zhongli had led them to an underground cavern that held glowing pools of water.  The space was illuminated by tens of geo crystalflies floating about, mostly because they didn't know the way out of the cave.  The entrance was at the base of one of the several stone pillars erected into the sky, hidden behind layers of vine.

"Paimon didn't know this existed, either!" Her eyes sparkled as bright as the crystalflies.  "Could you imagine how much mora could be made off of this tourist spot?!"

"These mineral pools date back several millennia.  Many gods used to use this as a sort of vacation spot or to heal injuries received from battles--"  He turned to look at you, "--which is why I thought to bring you here.  The medicinal properties of these pools will remove any lingering soreness in your leg."

"T-thank you, Mr. Zhongli."  You bowed, your face heating up from the awkwardness you felt.

"It's a little warm in here, don't you think?"  Childe pulled at his collar with annoyance.  He had returned from his homeland in order to travel with Aether, so he was still getting adjusted to the warmer weather of Northern Liyue.  Sweat dripped from his brow.

"Indeed, the spring months have begun to warm the cavern.  In the summer, it acts as a sauna." Zhongli removed his gloves and trailed his fingers across the surface of the water.

"Well it's a good thing it's not summer," Childe let out a laugh of relief.  He started unbuttoning his top and removed it altogether.

"T-tartaglia!" You yelped and hurriedly faced the opposite direction.  "You can't just--"  Your objections were interrupted by Zhongli and Aether also removing their shirts.  "You too?!"

"Paimon doesn't see the problem! They're baths, right?"

"Paimon is correct.  Is it not common courtesy to remove one's clothes to bathe and relax?"  Zhongli retied his hair and looked at you from his peripheral vision.  

"I-I mean...you're right, but..."  Your eyes landed on Xiao, who was the only one of your teammates that kept their clothes on.  "I'm the only girl on the team and--"

"I'll cut them if they so much as look in your direction," Xiao conjured his lance and set it beside him to prove he was serious.

"We wouldn't do that!" Aether winced at the echoed sound of the lance hitting the stone floor.  He hopped into one of the three luminescent pools.

Zhongli was indifferent as he lowered himself into another one of the pools.  He watched the crystalflies floating around before closing his eyes.  Childe, on the other hand, scoffed at Xiao.

"I see what you're doing, yaksha.  Trying to play the nice guy so you can get a peek for yourself, are you?"  Sharp eyes lingered over Xiao.

Xiao didn't take the bait and remained silent.  He knew all too well what the Harbinger was trying to do.  

"Hmph.  Thought so," Childe resumed his normal composure and joined Zhongli in the pool.

"You should get in.  You won't have to ride my back anymore."  Xiao briefly glanced your way before picking his lance up and facing the pools to make sure no one--mainly Childe--would try to watch you.

"O-okay," you hesitantly began to move.  You hid behind a large slate of rock and removed your clothes with unsteady hands.  Once down to your underwear, you quickly moved to the empty pool with your back facing your teammates.  You pulled your knees to your chest since the dim light of the cavern was still bright enough to illuminate your bare skin.  

The water was as clear as glass, and you could see a faint blue glow around your wound that was coupled with a ticklish tingling.  The dull ache was gone in nearly an instant.  You were too busy staring at the glowing water to notice that Paimon had joined you.

"Wow, so it really works! Paimon loves this place!"  She plopped herself into the water fully dressed without a care in the world.  "Hey Xiao, are you gonna join the rest of us?"

"I have no need for this luxury," he answered.

"Vigilant Yaksha," Paimon muttered under her breath.

"Paimon! The cabbages!" Aether warned.

"Oh! Uh, right!  Sorry Xiao!"

"This is nicer than I expected," Childe sunk into the pool until only his head remained above water.  "I can feel all the tension leaving my body."

"Yes, it is quite relaxing."  Zhongli answered without opening his eyes.

You finally gathered the courage to ask yourself.  "Are you sure you don't want to join us, Xiao?  It's nice to relax every once in awhile."

"I...have no need."  Childe and Zhongli picked up on the hesitant answer, the latter finally opening his eyes to sneak a peek at Xiao's face.  Did his resolve just weaken over the fact that it was you who asked him?  The yaksha stood up straighter as if he noticed Zhongli's thoughts.  "It is not in my contract with Rex Lapis. I will do no such thing."

Zhongli let out a low chuckle at this.  "Very well then."

I guess it was worth a try, you thought to yourself, still oblivious to the fact that Xiao had actually considered your proposal.  Wait, why did you feel bummed out from his answer?  It wasn't like you were trying to get him naked--though the thought did bring a blush to your cheeks.  

A splash to the back of your head interrupted your embarrassing thoughts.  "Hey!"  You spun around and peeked over the small wall that acted as the barrier for the next pool over.  Childe was grinning mischievously at you.

"Why don't you join us over here?"

"No thank you!"  You flushed red and sunk back into your pool.  You knew he got a rise out of messing with you.  Another splash of water enveloped you.  "Childe, I swear--"

"Oops," he said unconvincingly.

You nearly got up to splash him back, but stopped yourself just before you rose over the wall--you realized you'd be giving every guy in the room a sight to behold if you went through with your revenge.  You returned to your original position with a huff.  "Ugh, just screw off and let me be already!"

So that's the angle you're playing at, Xiao narrowed his eyes at the Harbinger.  Since he was still standing in the same spot, he accidentally got a view of your side rising out of the water.  "I suppose I'll join you after all."

"Oh?" Zhongli opened one eye to address the adeptus.  "What changed your mind?"

"Nothing."

You blushed and looked the other way as Xiao removed his clothes and joined the pool they were in.  He sat so that he was the closest one to you, with your backs facing one another.  He had conveniently sat in Childe's line of fire so he couldn't provoke you further.  A cold look passed over the Harbinger's face before he looked away.

Xiao's actions didn't go unnoticed by the previous Geo Archon.  Zhongli could feel the tension between his subordinate and the Fatui agent and closed his eyes once again.  She may not have noticed, but Xiao has grown rather fond of her these past few months.  His actions speak more than he does.  He stole a peak at the annoyed Harbinger.  This may pose problems for the group though...this may ignite a fuse.  Or perhaps he has another motive for antagonizing the girl?