Chapter 51: When your eyes open

It had been two more full days. Dr. Gordon gave permission for visitors hours and from time to time the guys would sneak into my room. the nurses gave up trying to stop them after Sebastian threatened to burn the place down. Honestly, seeing them was the only highlight from my days. Granny and Grandpa came too, they brought chocolate and flowers and my computer, everything so I wouldn't fall behind my classes.

The hospital we were in was close to Vancouver, near the place we had had the accident. We knew that once I could be discharged we were going to go back to New York, transporting Dominique with us, but for now we still had five days to burn. One week in total was the time I had to be there. The feeling the hospital brought me was almost the one a jail would.

For the first time since that first time I woke up, they let me out of my bed. With the support of both Nikolai and Sebastian we moved across the hallways. I couldn't go to other floors but I was happy just circling from one end of the hallway to the other. I hadn't had the energy or the will to visit Dominique again. I knew it was wrong and that he deserved my company more than anyone, but it still hurt too much to look at him and feel the guilt in my stomach.

It was while doing one of the rounds that a group of rushed residents skipped past us. They ran towards the UCI and for a brief second I swear the same thought came to all of us. We looked at each other, the hope shining through and the absolute terror also coming to our minds. We didn't doubt before walking in the same direction they had taken. As soon as we stepped into the UCI we realized it was a mess. Doctors rushing from side to side going inside a room. but the glint that shone in our eyes quickly faded when we looked at Dominique's closed door. He still slept peacefully in his bed, no doctor inside his room.

Nikolai and Sebastian both sighed and turned around expecting me to do the same. But for some reason I couldn't take my eyes out of him, out of those beautiful golden locks that still looked perfect even in his horrid condition. Nik patted my shoulder trying to gain my attention back for I shuddered and shook my head.

"Can we go inside? Keep him company?"

They accepted right away and after asking a nurse and her taking pity of us, we went inside. The two chairs were immediately occupied by them, Sebastian grabbing me by the waist and sitting me on his lap. I rested my head on his chest, letting him stroke my back while whispering that everything was going to be okay, even though I knew it wouldn't. My hope extinguished little by little every time I looked at him and couldn't stare into his beautiful green eyes.

"You think he will wake up?" I asked Nikolai who was in front of me.

"He has to," He said. Of course he denied any option of him not doing so, if I was in his eyes I would to. "He will,"

I nodded and kept my own opinion in the dark. I couldn't be the pessimistic one, not when they had their hopes up. I refused to let them see how broken everything was leaving but I knew just how easily they could look through me.

After a while from just staring and not knowing what to say we decided to leave. I hopped up from Sebastian's lap and he gave a kiss to my hand. First out of the door was him, then Nik and finally I walked behind them. Just when I was about to turn the knob and leave, I caught movement from the corner of my eye. As quick as the light I turned to see Dominique struggling against the ventilator. The machines started beeping rapidly and doctors rushed inside immediately. The guys grabbed me and took me outside while I stared in shock, incapable of saying anything, incapable of taking the situation in.

He had woken up, he had.

As soon as the realization hit me I threw myself at the window. The doctors were taking his respiratory out and Dominique was struggling against all of them. This time when I looked up at the boys I knew they were thinking the same I was.