Chapter 24: A kiss

Monday I awoke feeling much better. Sunday had been a tiring day for the most part but I had rested the most I could. First day of the week meant I had private lessons with Sebastian and Katarina. I had forgotten my nerves long ago after the first week we started practicing, now it was just part of my routine. I didn't despise being alone with them, but I liked it better when I wasn't the centre of attention. Being less than three months away from the Gala also meant we had to start rehearsing or at least create the performing number for the capital Sins. When we practiced with the whole group I would usually do my own dance for "Envy" but when it was privately we never actually did something for "Lust" it was only redoing other dances or doing our bonding activities (which I hated).

This time when I entered the classroom, Sebastian was already stretching on the barre, his left leg on it and his muscles flexed. Without glancing too much at him I set my thing on the bench and then went beside him to do the same thing. He chuckled at my back but neither said anything. At that moment Katarina broke into the room with a smile on her face. We both stopped and looked at her expectantly.

"Well, go on, ask, why I'm so happy," She demanded.

"Why are you so happy?" The both of us asked at the same time and we laughed.

"Today we're starting the choreography,"

I jumped out of joy and hugged Sebastian without hesitation. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head as if we were used to it. With a shy smile I stepped back and didn't even look at him in the eyes.

"The song you'll be doing is called I feel like I'm drowning, from two feet," She said and I shared a confused expression with him. "I understand that this song is not classical, but just like "Never Enough" I'm trying to do something different this year, and that starts with more contemporary numbers such like these,"

We nodded but didn't say anything further.

"Okay," she continued. "What's the story behind you two? I want you to listen to the song. That's my only homework, listen to it and really understand the concept. Do an overwhelming study of the song and bring your understanding of it for Wednesday,"

"That's it? What about today?"

"The story must be understood by you, not me, I want you to do it separately and then we'll share the versions you got," She clapped her hands together and rested her chin on the tip of her fingers. "Now, off you go," She pointed to the door and we exited the classroom almost immediately.

Knowing what song we had was surprising. I'd never imagined she was going to give us such a dark song for what's supposed to be a sexy dance. She wanted us to do it by ourselves so I had a lot to analyze. I said goodbye to Sebastian and headed for the café, I wanted a coffee and my croissant to study it. Luckily it was not so crowded and I easily found a table to sit. I plugged my headphones on and started listening to the song. The first time I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics, instead I heard the music. Once it was done I replayed it twice, trying to connect dots and possibly imagine situations.

"You're a poison and I know that is the truth" I think of this weekend when I was sick. It drives me to poison words, on people, how someone becomes a venom for us if he's dangerous enough. The worst part is knowing that it is poison but we still keep it, we still stay.

"I feel like I'm drowning" This person isn't really drowning on water, no, he's drowning on something so much worse, the suffocation of people. How just one person can drag us down until we can't go back. "You're holding me down"

"You're killing me slow" He knows he's dying because of that person, but he can't do anything. He's trapped there, dying slowly because of the person.