Chapter Nine

"Dani-boy is back", Fareed greeted me as soon as I walked into the classroom.

I had had to take off a couple of days from school and work, but by Wednesday morning I was able to drag myself to the class. Fareed placed his arm on my shoulder and squeezed me into an awkward half-hug.

"Dani-boy?" I frowned.

"Not good?"

"Definitely not", I shook my head.

"Dan Dan?" Fareed suggested and I shook my head again. He was about to make up new names when Joakim showed up. He looked dazzling in his black t-shirt and ripped jeans. Joakim hugged me in a way that was far from awkward.

"It's really nice to see you", he murmured and brushed a wisp of hair off my face.

"I was gone only for a few days", I pointed out, but I couldn't deny that I had missed him too.

We sat down at the back row, Joakim on my other side and Fareed on the other. Viljo joined us soon after and gave me a bashful smile. The teacher hadn't arrived yet, so we just sat there waiting.

"Dani?" Fareed broke the silence.

"No", I declined before anyone else could ask what the heck he was talking about.

"Okay, how about Danny?"

"I've been called worse, so why not", I gave in. That seemed to make Fareed happy and therefore I didn't mind having a new nickname that much.

We had a new teacher. He was a funny, vibrant and bald man, who seemed really passionate about sculpting and all the possible forms of art. When I listened to him, I couldn't wait to learn more about sculpting technics, he was just that good.

"Isn't he amazing?" Fareed preached on our way to the cafeteria. They told me about the first day with the new teacher and his lecture about lights and shadows in painting.

"For example, did you know that warm light has a cold shadow?" Viljo joined the conversation.

"Well, yes, but not always. It can change by the color of the surface of the shadow, the color of the object in front of the shadow or if the shadow is reflected back from another surface. But yeah, basically warm light has cold a shadow", I concluded.

"Oh, forget I even asked", Viljo huffed. "Of course you already knew."

"Leave him be, it's not his fault he's smarter than any of us dim-witted fools", Joakim laughed and started scooping soup on his plate.

Maybe one of the reasons why being with Joakim felt so good was that he made me feel special, like I was the only person he saw in the room. Still I couldn't help but wonder how long it would take until he'd get bored with me.

"Want to do something tonight?" Joakim asked, his eyes studying my face intensively.

"I have to go to work."

There it was, only for a second or two, frustration and disappointment. Then it was gone. That look was nearly undetectable, but it lingered on my mind for the rest of the day. Even if Joakim said it was okay and smiled and walked me to my flat, it kept bothering me. Until I went to work and got my mind immersed in books and guiding customers.

Working at the library was exactly the kind of job I was good at. Learning and remembering the self sorting was easy for me and I had read quite many books so I could give recommendations about them. Some customers even came there just to talk about books, which I found entertaining.

Of course there was the shelving and other practical work as well, so I had to carry piles of books and push holders around. It was tiring, I'm not gonna lie, but I also can't deny physical exertion wasn't good for me. In such a short time I had already started noticing some muscles on my scrawny arms.