Chapter Thirty-three

I had barely set down the brush after the final stroke on the portrait, when the wall clock's pointer moved to 5 pm. It was the deadline when our artworks needed to be done. I was the last one in the classroom, since everyone else had finished their work hours or even days ago. It had been rather enjoyable to listen music from my ear buds and to paint alone in the classroom.

The next day they would take the artworks to the gallery, which troubled me a little, because there was no way my painting would try in time. I had used thin layers, but oil paint takes ages to dry no matter what. Before I left the classroom, I wrote a warning about that near the painting.

The hallways were empty and echoing. Most of the younger students were already on summer break and none of the classes lasted long when the school year was about to end.

"Finally!" A familiar voice welcomed me when I opened the flat door.

Lina was wearing loose high waisted pants and a white tank top. She looked thriftier than she had looked the last time I saw her and her cheeks had a healthy glow, which made me smile proudly at her. It seemed like the worst was behind for the both of us.

"Did you forget I was coming today?" Lina asked with a slight frown.

"Um, maybe... Kuisma let you in?"

"Yes, he did and he's been keeping me company", Lina told me. Only then I remembered why she had came.

"Oh, so you're cutting my hair?"

"Did you forget about that too?"

"Don't take it personally, it's kinda his thing these days", Kuisma hollaed from the kitchen. He wasn't wrong, I had been scatterbrained lately. I forgot most of the things people told me and even some of the things I read, so there was probably a lot going on in my brain.

Lina had indeed promised to come cut my hair, so I would look more presentable at the exhibition, which would be held the day after tomorrow.

When I untied my hair, Lina laughed joyously: "Oh, so you really are Rapunzel." The dark straight wisps spread over my shoulders already, so she did have a point there.

"Don't cut it too short, I like my man with longer hair", Kuisma's grinning head peeked from the kitchen. Did he just call me his man and why did I like the sound of that?

"I have an idea", Lina seemed to came up with something, and I put my trust in her. I really hoped I wouldn't have to wear a beanie for a month or two..

When I looked myself from the bathroom mirror, I actually liked what I saw. I had been avoiding mirrors for a good while now, since my reflection had filled me with malaise: the dull eyes, the dark circles which looked like bruises against the ashen skin. And the fact I had the features of the person who had nearly ruined my life.

This time, my hair with a top knot and a neat undercut, having some colour on my cheeks and glow in my eyes, one could actually say I was handsome. Or smoking hot like Kuisma described me as soon as he saw my new look.

Lina stayed with us till late in the evening. She told us about a trip she had booked to Los Angeles and that she had bought herself a small house in the center of our hometown.

Sometimes I forgot dad had left her so much money. Whereas I had a house full of ugly secrets. Yet I wasn't bitter to Lina about any of it. I'm not sure if I possibly could have been, especially after she handed me an envelope and told me to open it after she had left.

There was 2000 euros inside and a card saying: Don't even try to give this back to me. Happy graduation! :) PS. I'm seriously pissed you didn't tell me earlier that you're having money issues. So just take this now you IDIOT.