Chapter Twenty-five

It was the day we had all been waiting for. Some because they felt like they would go crazy if they needed to do one more prop, some because their feet ached from the constant dance training and some simply because they wanted to see their flatmates more often.

The weather didn't know it was the day of the Christmas event, because it had been raining two days and the snow had melted. If you looked out of the window, you would think it was early spring or late autumn, but definitely not the week before Christmas.

At least it felt Christmassy inside: led lights, artificial Christmas trees with more lights, snowflakes made of paper decorating windows, even a couple of mistletoes,.. There was pretty much everything anyone could have thought about, because apparently more was more after all.

Kuisma was already gone when I woke up in the morning, which wasn't much of a surprise. Our class would start 10 am and I knew it would be a busy day. We had to make sure the props were in correct places and do the last decorations in the cafeteria and in the gymnasium.

Still, for some stupid reason all I could think about was I'd finally see Kuisma's performance. Actually there was another thought on my mind as well: where would Kuisma be when we go to the gymnasium to make preparations for the event. So, frankly speaking, all I could think about was Kuisma.

Anyway, after my usual amount of coffee and 100 pages of the latest book I was reading, I brushed my teeth and made sure my hair was in order. I still hadn't booked myself an appointment to a barber, so my hair had gotten so long I could make a small bun of it and I liked it that way. Then I dressed up, left the flat and headed to the classroom.

"You're late", Fareed announced as soon as I walked to him. I looked around and even half of the class wasn't there yet.

"But the teacher isn't here, so technically I'm early", I shrugged.

"Yeah, but.." Fareed began his long twaddle about how being late had everything to do with time and how everything else was just variables.

That guy surely talked a lot, but it was one of the reasons I liked him so much. Most of the time I didn't have to talk at all, because Fareed could keep the conversation going just by himself.

It didn't take long until the teacher showed up. Me and Fareed started the labour with heavy boxes full of brochures and some decorations. Once those were in the right place, we went to fetch new ones and after those were gone, we got new ones.

On the lunch break I wolfed down my Chili sin carne while looking around for Kuisma. He wasn't there, which wasn't surprising since we rarely had the same lunch hour.

"Why do I get a feeling you'd rather have lunch with someone else", Fareed muttered while grinning knowingly.

"What, who?"

"Well, he has brown hair, these really cool yellow eyes, he's tall and I've heard he's really good at dancing. Does this ring any bells?" Fareed continued.

"His eyes aren't yellow, they're amber."

"So you were thinking about him?" Fareed exclaimed.

"No I wasn't", I denyed just a little too quickly and continued: "What makes you think so?"

"Well, it's not exactly difficult to tell you like him", Fareed grinned. I nearly dropped my fork and gaped at him my eyes so wide they would soon pop out from the eye sockets.

"How can you tell that?" I breathed.

"Maybe it's those tender looks you give him or that you can't get your eyes off him. Actually it might be that you talk about him all the time or, hmm, how you want to spend all your free time with him? Or —"