Chapter Eight

Summer is short here in Finland, whereas winter seems to last forever. Although it was still just the beginning of autumn, the days had already gotten shorter and colder.

I had spent a month in town and it had started to feel more like home. Even though it was a small town, there was a surprisingly inclusive center. One big grocery store, a mall, some handicraft shops, a drugstore, a library and of course a liquor store.

I went to the center when I had time and wanted to buy something special to eat or just wander around at the mall. I couldn't buy even a tenth of what I wanted though, because I was broke.

Fortunately I had found myself a job. Actually I had found myself two jobs, which were a part-time job at the library and substitution task at a math refresher course in our school. Working was exhausting along with studies, but I needed the money.

I barely had time to see Joakim after classes, which neither of us was happy about, and I mostly came back to my flat to sleep and eat.

I had had my usual shift at the library at Friday, and I slept till noon on Saturday. It took me a while to get up from the bed and another while to get dressed. I was so tired it felt like I hadn't slept at all.

Kuisma was already in the kitchen making coffee. I opened the fridge, only half-awake. There was just a jar of soy milk, since I hadn't had time to buy groceries. So, cereals it was.

I thought I would have to wait for my turn to make coffee, like I always did, but without words Kuisma jabbed a steaming cup of coffee in my hands. I looked at him and gave him an astounded smile.

"Thanks", I mumbled quickly.

"It's just a cup of coffee", Kuisma shrugged.

"Yeah, but it's a start", I said and leaned my lower back against the kitchen counter. Kuisma poured coffee for himself too and sat on the kitchen stool. We didn't talk for a long while, but it was nice to be in the same room without quarreling.

"So you don't compeletely hate me after all?" I asked gingerly. I felt like this might be the time to get to know Kuisma a little better. After all, all we had done the last month was fighting.

"I never said I hated you", Kuisma pointed out. Luckily he didn't sound angry or agitated. Actually, he seemed relaxed if not even benevolent.

I yet again remarked how good-looking he was with his golden eyes and ruffled up hair. What was surprising to me, was that he looked like a nice person, not at all like a troublemaker.

"Why are you staring at me?" Okay, I was definitely staring at him, and maybe it was a little too obvious.

"I'm not", I denyed quickly, and then we were quiet again.

"You're working too much", Kuisma eventually broke the silence. Was he concerned about me?

"Huh?" I almost choked on my coffee. Kuisma was about to say something when my phone rang.

"Hi, what's up?" I answered the call.

"We're going to watch movies and drink, care to join us?" Joakim asked. There was some clamor around him, so he was probably on the go.

"I don't know, I'm pretty exhausted from work", I hesitated. I had planned to just chill and maybe go to the grocery store at most. I even had some homework to do..

"Come on, just one movie and a couple of drinks", Joakim entreated.

"Okay, fine", I gave in, and just like that my chance not to go was gone.

"Great! See you in an hour."

When I ended the call, Kuisma was browsing his phone. There was a minor frown on his face and it seemed like he had drawn back to his shell.