Chapter Twenty-seven

It turned out spending Christmas at Kuisma's parents' was my only option, since the dormitory was going to be closed during the Christmas holiday. I couldn't go to Copa or Paju's, because they had other plans this year. I had already sold my old apartment and hell would freeze before I'd spend Christmas in the House.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't going to Kuisma's parents just because I had no other options. I wanted to spend Christmas with Kuisma, just like I wanted to spend all my spare time with him.

The problem was that I had never really been the kind of guy you bring to see your parents. Maybe it was because all my previous boyfriends had been more or less closeted. No matter the reason, I had no experience of parents-in-law, and the thought of meeting Kuisma's parents appalled me.

"What if they hate me? What if I accidentally say something horrible and they hate me even more?"

"They won't hate you no matter what you say or do, I'm sure they'll like you", Kuisma reassured. He had been appeasing me patiently, but I could hear a hint of frustration in his voice by then.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I breathed, unable to restrain my worry.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to." He was trying to stay calm, but I could tell he was starting to regret asking me to join his family.

"Honestly, I have no idea if I want to come or not", I muttered. I turned to look at him, mentally cursing myself for making this such a big deal. I couldn't find the words and I was afraid of making Kuisma angry.

"Then don't", Kuisma snapped and stomped to the door. He placed his hand on the doorjam and halted. Then he shook his head and walked back to me.

"I'm sorry", he sighed. "This is all new to me and I don't want you to think we're moving too fast.. I'm asking you to come because I don't want you to spend Christmas alone."

"This is new to me too", I admitted. "I want to spend Christmas with you and to meet your parents, I'm just scared. I have no idea how to be around parents-in-law — hell I don't even know how to be around any parents."

"Then how about this: don't think them as parents-in-law yet. They can be just a generous couple hosting Christmas. I'm sure they'll like you no matter what, so you shouldn't worry too much", Kuisma murmured and wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me closer.

"Besides, they're only going to be there for Christmas eve, so it's just you and me for Christmas day", he added softly. "So, are you coming tomorrow?"

"How can I say no after that?"

***

Kuisma's parents lived in an old house, which had a huge yard. I guess that was normal in the country side, but for me, a citizen, it was quite a sight. There were old leafless apple trees and some berry shrubs, also leafless and covered with a thin layer of frost.

Kuisma opened the door and I followed after him. A delicious aroma of Christmas dishes filled my nose, making my stomach grumble. I took off my jacket and shoes following Kuisma's example. Then Kuisma placed his hand on my lower back and gently pushed me towards the kitchen.

I barely noticed the paintings on the walls or the yellow and white themed interior design in the hallway, the only thing I really saw was the woman who hadn't noticed us yet. She was looking for something from the kitchen cabinet, but as soon as Kuisma greeted her she gave us a warm smile.

"Hi, I'm Kirsikka", she introduced herself and instead of a handshake she hugged me, taking me by surprise. My parents hadn't been the hugging type.

She was very beautiful with her long black hair and amber colored eyes. Apart from her golden eyes she didn't look like Kuisma though. She was probably in her fifties, but there was a certain youthfulness in her appearance, so it was hard to say for sure. Her clothes were black and elegant.