Chapter Twenty-four

Once I had completed the era of Joakim, I had a feeling it was time for bigger and better things. Well, maybe not necessarily bigger things, since I had had enough of turmoil for the semester, but I was definitely ready for the better part.

Before we completely bury Joakim in the past, I'll tell you what were ''the idiotic choices'' he made to get kicked out of school. It didn't take long before everyone started gossiping about it and the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

Fareed told me Joakim had always smoked weed abundantly, but apparently he had started using something else and that he had been spiraling ever since. It must have been after we went our separated ways, which luckily wasn't part of the gossip and only the inner circle knew about it.

Some teacher had noticed his altered behavior and he got caught. In our school property drugs and alcohol are forbidden and if you get caught, you either get a warning or get kicked out.

A part of me felt responsible for what had happened, but at the end of the day Joakim had been the one making the choices. All I could do was hope he'd get the help he needed and continue living my life. What was done was done and we both had to pay the price.

That been said, our ordinary days in life were indeed ordinary — and busy. The Christmas event would be in less than a week and I often had to stay late at school working with the decorations.

Some part of my body was always aching, I was covered in paint stains and I was so exhausted in the evenings I had barely energy to take a shower and eat before falling asleep. On top of that I was still working at the library three days a week.

Somehow Kuisma managed to stay at practices even later than I did at school, so we barely saw each other. I wanted to tell him there was no need to practice so hard when he was already so perfect at it, but then I would have to admit I had went to see his practice.

Actually I had done that twice. I don't want you to get any stalker vibes of me, so I'll emphasize I was again only walking past the gymnasium and I just happened to look at the window on the door and see Kuisma practicing. I swear.

That been said, I missed him a lot and I couldn't wait the Christmas event to be over, so we could go back to normal. Which would mean more pretending for me, since I couldn't let Kuisma know about my feelings, but I was fine with that as long as I could spend more time with him.

"Wake up", a familiar voice woke me up on Saturday morning.

"What time is it?" I mumbled and pulled the blanket over my face.

"It's time for coffee", he continued.

"But now I don't know what happens to the cats or if I get everything packed before the boat leaves", I moaned.

"What?" Kuisma bursted out laughing.

"Okay, I'll get up", I complied and tossed the blanket off my face.

"Tell me more about the boat and the cats", Kuisma prompted.

"I won't, it's a secret", I grinned back at him. I got up from the bed and put on a hoodie on top of the t-shirt had I slept in. Our flat was chilly in the winter, so I wore woolen stockings as well.

While we were drinking our coffees and munching breakfast, I asked Kuisma: "So, what's the occasion?" I usually slept till noon, but today Kuisma had woken me up before 10 am.

"I want to take you somewhere", Kuisma's tone cautious but determined.

"Where?"

"Just wear something warm, that's all you need to know for now", Kuisma answered. He really meant it, because no matter how many times I asked, that was the only answer I got.