- Chapter 11 -

A couple of days had passed since the confession of Corpse's rank. Thankfully, Sykkuno hadn't acted any differently towards the prince. He simply shrugged with a ''That's cool.'' kind of comment.

It wasn't something Corpse had been expecting, but then again, he didn't know what to expect. Especially since he's concluded that Sykkuno is unpredictable, he's a wildcard.

His mouth works faster than his mind outside of work, to the point where he'll make primary decisions impulsively. It came as a surprise to Corpse, as Sykkuno seemed very well put together. The time Sykkuno made the plan to travel from Ambrose to Offpire seemed quite organized, although it had some flaws. He didn't bring enough food, his shoes had been party ripped from all the walking, as the leather fabric wasn't durable. However, Corpse did get him a new pair.

Sykkuno had been spending most of his time looking after herbs and creating more and more prescriptions. Although he didn't mind, he took it as a learning experience as he also had Ludwig to help him. He still finds that everything seems to be going by quickly, a little too rapid for his liking. One moment, he was in Ambrose, and now here he is.

The boy was given the day off today. Ludwig had told him he had been working hard enough and that he didn't want Sykkuno's brain to go to mush. So he went to visit Rae and Bimbus.

He saw Rae currently talking to a few other people. He walks up to Bimbus to be greeted by the dog jumping and putting his front paws on the boy's legs. Sykkuno had always thought of Bimbus as a strange animal. When he met him hiding in the bush, he assumed Bimbus was quite aggressive. However, it seems as though that wasn't the case. Bimbus was actually quite friendly.

Both Bimbus and Sykkuno were quite variable. But that's what Sykkuno liked about him.

He felt a hard smack on his back and twirled around. ''Hey, what's up?'' Rae asks, smiling. ''Fine, I have a day off today. Also, ouch,'' he responds. Rae rolls her eyes and invites Sykkuno inside, to which he happily accepts, Bimbus trotting behind him. Rae flops down onto a chair just beside the dining table.

''Is your back feeling alright?'' Sykkuno asks. ''Yes, yes. Stop asking. It's making me feel like an old grandma.''

Rae works as a blacksmith assisting the actual owner. Most of the time, she's instructed to carry heavy materials to deliver or collect, even over long distances.

She poured a cup of tea for Sykkuno and placed it on the table in front of him. ''So I was considering it,'' she said. ''Considering what?'' he responds. ''About joining The Anchors, didn't you say Ludwig wanted you to look for other people to join?''

''Yup, he did tell me if I could find anyone then I should-''

''Perfect, I'll see him later today about it then.''

Sykkuno mentioned the whole anchor situation to Rae. She agreed that the plan of blackmailing the royal family seemed a little... inoperative. Surely just blackmail won't be enough.

The two made small talk, playing with Bimbus outside where he stole someone's shoe and ran off. They did manage to find him hiding in a bush, munching on the leather. (Bimbus is a bush boi)

The time spent that day with Rae wasn't eventful, but still enjoyable.

They decided to walk towards the tavern down the street, to be met with Toast. He had a rather cold personality, but then again, Sykkuno had only ever had a few interactions with him. Toast could be completely different from what Sykkuno may think of him.

He was sitting at a table by himself, reading. ''If you wanna go greet him, I'll order,'' Rae says, catching Sykkuno glancing towards Toast. He nods and walks up to his table. ''Oh, hey Sykkuno,'' Toast says. ''Hey,'' he responds, sitting down beside him. ''What are you reading?''

''A book.''

''I can see that.'' Sykkuno giggles. ''What's the book about?''

''Criminology.''

''Interesting, I once read a book about criminology, and they included some cases which were kinda morbid for my taste.''

Toast responds with a simple hum before returning to his book. Rae walks over and pops down beside Sykkuno, and hands him an apple cider. ''Since you're kinda young, you know. No alcohol,'' she says. He shrugs and takes a sip. ''Who are you?'' Toast asks. ''I am just your imagination,'' Rae says ominously. ''This is Rae,'' Sykkuno budges in. Toast nods but stays in silence.

''You're quiet,'' Rae point's out. ''I'm not. I just don't talk when I'm feeling bothered.'' Toast emitted. Rae and Sykkuno seemed to take the hint. They both gushed down their drinks and were about to leave the tavern. ''Oh, by the way. Just to let you know, be wary of Corpse.''

''Why?''

''Best be on your toes whenever you meet someone from the palace.''

◈◈◈

Sykkuno walked back with Rae, Bimbus again following behind. He hadn't kept what Toast said in mind. He trusted Corpse. Sykkuno was sure that he didn't have any ulterior motives.

He dropped Rae off and was back on his way to the cottage. Again, meeting the familiar face of Corpse, sitting on the sofa. Sykkuno took off his scarf and shoes, then plopping himself next to Corpse.

''Evening.'' Corpse greets. ''You look tired, are you alright?''

''I'm alright, I visited Rae and Bimbus today!'' Sykkuno beams. ''We ran into Toast too. He was reading about criminology.''

''I don't like him.''

''Yeah, he can be unpleasant at times, I guess.''

Sykkuno stretches out on the sofa before slouching onto Corpse's side.

''What are the tests like?''

''Do you mean the herbalist tests?''

''Yeah,''

''I actually don't know, even if I did, I think it would be cheating for me to tell you.'' Corpse responds. Sykkuno sighs, ''That's fair, just things are going by too fast.''

''You are so paranoid.'' Corpse teases, poking at Sykkuno's shoulder.

The smaller boy stays quiet and begins to close his eyes. Corpse assumes he's daydreaming until he hears a soft snore. He puts his feet up and lays Sykkuno's head against his chest.

They fall asleep quickly, almost too quickly.

But they'll make sure to savor the moments they have with each other.

Maybe that will make the time go slower.

◈◈◈

Can't believe y'all had to wait a week for this mother fricking chapter

Not gonna lie, this chapter is a filler one. During writing this, again I lost motivation quickly and stalled :( I am very sorry

I'll make sure the next one is at least more interesting :D

ALSO HAPPY NEW YEAR WE SURVIVED JUMANJI!!!!

GOOD MORNING AFTERNOON OR NIGHT!

-fai :)

P.S I don't say this enough but if you see any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors lemme know pls ok thanks :D