- Chapter 24 -

➼ CW/TW: Mention of suicide (in the backstory)

Ludwig nervously walked towards The Chief's desk, where she sat organizing papers. He tried to think of the best lie he could use as an excuse for Sykkuno to travel to Ambrose. It couldn't be on the day Emma heads back to her home city. That would be suspicious. Instead, Sykkuno would be sent to Ambrose a few days before her.

Ludwig lately heard of the news that Sykkuno was studying the herb Danshen. Ambrose was also quite popular when it came to herb shipments. Sykkuno is to collect herbs that grow in Ambrose's soil and herbs from their cargoes. He could then test other herbs with Danshen to see what a good match would be.

It wasn't a complete lie since Sykkuno did suggest it to further boost his studies. However, Ludwig couldn't inform The Chief of their actual intentions. All he needs is an official note from The Chief herself to prove that Sykkuno is a Court Apprentice from Offpire rather than a random citizen from the streets.

"Good morning," he greeted her. "Mornin' Ludwig," she responds. "What do you need?"

"Sy-Thomas told me he was working with Danshen,"

"Which Thomas?"

"Thomas...uh."

"Don't worry, I know who you're talking about."

Ludwig lets out a sigh of relief. "I came to you to suggest that maybe we could send him to Ambrose?"

The Chief looks up from her papers. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

Ludwig shakes his head no. "Not at all, but Ambrose primarily grows herbs that we don't have access to here. I thought that Thomas could collect a few samples of said herbs to test with Danshen? If it was okay with you."

"I agree, that sounds like a splendid idea,"

"Thank you so much! Here, I'll get you a note you can write on." Ludwig shuffles through a nearby cabinet and pulls out an envelope and a piece of paper with a gold border around it. "I've only been to Ambrose once. I can't wait to taste their pastries again..." Ludwig fantasizes of profiteroles and massive cakes covered with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. He almost begins to drools at the image.

"Ludwig," The Chief says. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I need you to stay here with me, in Offpire."

The man swirls around, almost tripping over his own feet. He steadies himself before speaking again, "With all due respect, Thomas would find himself more comfortable with a guide like me." Ludwig says in a cocky tone.

The Chief lets out a stern laugh. "Didn't you say you've only been there once? In any case, we have a meeting coming up with the other unit leaders. I need you as my assistant."

Ludwig pouts but decides not to argue since he knows he'll lose either way. He hands The Chief the envelope and paper. He'll just have to hope that Sykkuno can pull this off without him.

◈◈◈

"I love you," Thomas confesses, his mouth breaking out into a sweet smile.

Cadáver stands still, looking down at the herbalist. "Is that the truth?" he asks.

Thomas nods. "One-hundred percent true."

The prince doesn't speak for the next minute, dropping his eyes from Thomas's to look down at the stone path below his feet. Thomas begins to look concerned. "Was now a bad time to say it?" he thinks.

"Thomas, what are you doing to me..." Cadáver mumbles. All possible awkward tension collapses when the two boys begin giggling. "Sorry."