- Chapter 37 -

It's been almost a week since Corpse's and Sykkuno's exile.

The herbalist had been trying to redraw parts of the map. So far, it's been going smoothly. Both he and Corpse were thinking this map could be their way back to Offpire.

Hafu, however, while watching the boys embark on their work, felt a feeling of misery. She considered going back with them to Offpire, but the merchant had been preparing to leave the nation for years. She wouldn't turn her back on that idea.

Sykkuno noticed how her expressions were almost always discontented. He tried his best to cheer her up by giving her a few wildflowers, but nothing seemed to work.

It was late at night, and the three of them sat on the couch. Corpse was getting sick of how it felt like bugs are trotting along his arms and legs. In the castle, he'd never dealt with many beetles and spiders. Whenever he did, one of the nearby attendants would move the insect away. He wanted to go home, but not home. A home in his mind is wherever Sykkuno is. But in a place where they're both comfortable. Not in a castle, not ever again.

As days pass, time seems to move excruciatingly slowly. They were eating healthy for the most part. Sykkuno utilized his peppers and found some edible herbs further in the forest. Corpse decided to hunt using a spear from the basement. He only came across a dear or two and a few rabbits but he didn't like hunting. It reminded him too much of his father, and how'd The King taught him techniques for killing prey. Corpse soon learned his father found pleasure in the deaths of animals. The Prince swore to himself he wouldn't be the same.

Corpse returned to the house after another fruitless hunt. After he put the remains of a rabbit in a bucket, he noticed Hafu napping on the couch again. That's what he thought, at least. Hafu was staring at the ceiling while her eyes were a blank void. It was unsettling. "Where's Sykkuno?" Corpse wondered. Hafu propped herself up to look at the boy. "He's sleeping. A fever got to him," she explained. "Alright, could you collect some water from the stream? I'll boil it later." Hafu nodded and stood up.

She took her cloak and hung it around her shoulders before heading out the door. Corpse quietly rushed to where Sykkuno was resting and saw the boy passed out, panting in his sleep. He sat beside the boy and caressed his cheek to in any way soothe him. While doing so, he took notice of the bedroom and how it's developed. Sykkuno boarded up a few holes in the walls and dusted off the bed. They wouldn't have to be worrying about spiders so much anymore. Corpse progressed from sitting to laying beside Sykkuno instead.

Corpse pulled the covers up over Sykkuno and himself, but the movement caused Sykkuno to stir. He opened his eyes lazily and had a battle between his eyelids, urging them to stay open. Corpse chuckled, "Don't worry, you can sleep."

"Mm, okay," Sykkuno mumbled. He lets out a cough while tiredly pointing towards a table where the map lay. "I think I finished it, not sure though, since I'm just basing it off memory."

"We can look over it tomorrow," Corpse says. "Later, you can drink some hot water."

Sykkuno nods, and his eyes flutter closed.

◈◈◈

The days had passed once again with Sykkuno nursed back to health. Corpse concluded three weeks had flown since they left. The map seemed accurate enough to give them a vague idea where to go back to Offpire.

When they asked Hafu if she'd like to come along, she responded no, telling them she wanted to leave the cities.

Corpse and Sykkuno were outside in the forest, mostly collecting herbs to eat. The wind was light today. It was somewhat refreshing.

As they started heading back, they heard rapid footsteps coming towards them. Corpse got tackled to the ground, smudging his face in the dirt. Sykkuno fell from shock and looked up to see a young woman.

Her hair was brown, with orange tints and was rather untidy. She must have been living out in the woods for a long time.

Corpse managed to flip himself over before pushing the girl away and standing to protect Sykkuno. "Who are you?!" he commanded. The woman wiped off her face and wobbled up. She stayed silent and still, in a battle stance. That's when Sykkuno noticed a tattoo resting on her neck. It was peaking out from her scarf, and relief floods through the boy. An Anchor, now a certainty of safety to him.

The words that come out of her mouth sends a chill through Corpse and Sykkuno. It was a name they both recognized, despite never seeing her face before.

"My name is Meredith."

◈◈◈

So they ended up bringing Meredith back to the house.

Hafu jolted up from her seat on the couch after seeing the newcomer. "Uh, guys?" she began.

"Don't worry, she's a friend!" Sykkuno smiled.

Meredith sat on the couch and put her feet up. "You said you wanted me to look at something...?" she hinted. "Right!" Sykkuno dashed off into the other room and returned with both the map and the journal. "This belongs to you, doesn't it?" he said, giving her the book. "We figured since you're practically a part of The Anchors, you could help us?"

Meredith stood up and yanked the map out of Sykkuno's hands. She rolled it out on the table in front of them. "Have something to write with?" she asked. The group shook their heads no, and the girl sighed in annoyance. She pulled out a jar from her bag containing some berries. Meredith squished them between her fingers and used the juice as ink.

"You'll need to head west. The forest is thick, so trace every step you take if you don't want to get lost again."

She drew a line that stained the paper. It curved in different directions at many points. "As soon as you get here," she pointed at the end of the route. "keep on heading straight. You'll see Offpire eventually."

Sykkuno smiled brightly and rolled the map back up. "Thank you."

Meredith nods before trying to leave, only to be stopped by Hafu latching onto her arm. "If you don't mind me asking," she started, "What happened here?"

The woman stood still and found herself surprised when she let out a grin. "Offpire, raids. We tried to stop them. I escaped." Hafu held a face of sympathy and walked outside with Meredith. Hafu looked back at the two boys. "You guys should leave tomorrow," she suggests. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Corpse asked.

Hafu shook her head, "Positive. I'll miss you guys, and tell Toast I wish him well, okay?" Sykkuno agreed, and Hafu looked back at Meredith. "Do you mind if you could teach me how to hunt? I noticed you used a bow, so I thought..."

Sykkuno and Corpse heard their voices fade while they walked away together into (THE UNKNOWN) the depths of the forest. "I'm sure they'll do just fine," Sykkuno mentioned.

Corpse hummed as they watched the girls disappear from view.

◈◈◈

AAAAAAAAYE

so uh, sorry it took a week this time

recently there's this one guy whose an absolute bigot at my school and he annoys the hec outta me

questION: favourite Disney film, GO:

have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai