- Chapter 4 -

CW/TW: Homophobia (only like a sentence, but I put this warning here just in case)

I decided to change Corpse's name since everyone started trashing me for it because everyone else used it as well (his name doesn't have any relevance to the plot so don't worry) Original name: was the classic "Adam." if you see any 'Adam's" that i missed PLEASE lemme know

''Something smells good...'' Corpse wakes up from his comfortable bed and sees a tray with a fully loaded breakfast on his nightstand, which contained eggs, bacon and fruit. He went over to his closet and picked out an outfit. He picked out his well-tailored clothes, of a black top and lighter-coloured pants.

"Cadáver? May I come in?"

''Yes, you may.''

Dave, one of Corpse's good friends and butler, walked into the room. ''I've come to tell you that your father requests your presence in 2 hours.''

'What does he even want?'' Cadáver asked,

''I suspect he wants to discuss your marriage arrangements,'' Dave said. Corpse groaned. He couldn't care less about marriage, let alone any kind of love. All he wanted was sleep, but it's impossible with him. He eats half of his breakfast. ''I'll eat the rest of this later,'' said Cadáver, as he walked outside of his room.

He was greeted by the familiar smell of the castle. In the beginning, as a child, Cadáver enjoyed wandering and exploring all aspects of the building, but as if now, he just wanted to run away.

2-hours pass, Cadáver begins to look for his father. He assumed his father would be in the main hall, so he went to check. He was right as his father was leaning against the wall, waiting for him.

Cadáver's father turned his head to meet his eyes with his sons. He smiled and walked towards him. ''Good morning Cadáver.'' He said. ''Your mother and I were talking,

''Oh boy.''

''Since you're almost eight-teen, we were wondering when you may consider getting married."

''When I want to,'' Cadáver said.

''Listen, for a kingdom to thrive when you become king, you must have a wife. It'll ensure a good reputation for the kingdom and an official alliance.''

Cadáver stayed silent for a moment. ''What if I want a husband instead?''

''We've never had that happen before. It's unnatural for you, a man, to be in love with another man. Don't you think?'' Cadáver's father said. ''Also, we prefer you marry someone of royal blood. Ambrose has a lovely princess who could make a great queen for Offpire.''

''I don't want a wife,'' Cadáver said.

''Cadáver, you must.''

''No.''

Cadáver's father sighs, ''I know it's hard to understand, but once you settle down and perhaps get to know her more, you'll come to like her. It's how your mother and I got together.''

''I don't...'' Cadáver was enticed to speak his mind. He doesn't want a wife right now, but he felt as though he had no choice. ''Fine.''

''Lovely, I'll set up a meeting for you to meet up with the princess.'' his father said. He turned around and walked away, while Cadáver just wanted to cry. Pulling his mask further up his face, hiding his tears.

◈◈◈

Cadáver went out for a walk at night, into the forest, into the cottage. It was like his little getaway. He sat peacefully by the unlit fireplace, his mind wondering.

''The boy, will he be here today?''

Cadáver remembered the boy Sykkuno and how he helped treat the wound on his hand. He seemed like a sweet boy, easily flustered. Cadáver wanted to see him. Perhaps they could become friends.

As if his desires were heard, he heard a 'tap tap' on the window. He looked out and saw Sykkuno look through. Cadáver went to open the door and let Sykkuno through.

''Hey! I'd thought you would be here,'' Sykkuno said.

''Yeah...'' Cadáver responds.

''How's your hand?''

Cadáver looked at his hand. When he went home yesterday, his personal doctor had told him he would only need a bandage change. Maybe some medication is to be applied as well. Sykkuno had done a swell job at healing Cadáver's hand. ''It's alright, thank you.''

''Well, since you're here, I was wondering if I could learn more about you?'' Sykkuno asked. 

''I'm not the best with conversations.''

''Oh- I can tell you a bit about me then?'' the boy suggested. Cadáver shrugged. The two of them sat on the couch, and Sykkuno took off his boots. ''My name is Thomas, but I prefer Sykkuno. I'm a seventeen-year-old from Ambrose, and I'm currently taking a course in herbalism.''

''That basically sums me up.'' Sykkuno giggled softly. ''How long have you lived here, Corpse?" he asks. 

''I was born and raised here.'' Corpse answers

''Is that so, do you enjoy living here?''

Not really.

''I do.''

''That's good. I'm enjoying it here myself. I've met a lot of nice people so far,'' Sykkuno said. Cadáver didn't know what to say in conversations like these. He only responded with a small hum.

Sykkuno continued to make small talk while Cadáver listened. There were a few times where Cadáver would talk when he needed to, but not often. He enjoyed the rambling of Sykkuno. Sykkuno went on and on about plants but Cadáver felt comforted. But when it was Sykkuno's time to leave, he asked if he could meet back up tomorrow. Sykkunno nodded and left with a smile. '

'We're gonna meet back up tomorrow,'' Cadáver recalled. He was silently hoping that Sykkuno considered them friends or at least acquaintances.

◈◈◈

Sykkuno had returned to the Inn after a meet-up with Corpse. They both agreed to meet tomorrow night as well, and he was ecstatic. Sykkuno appreciated talking to Corpse as he was a great listener. Although Sykkuno has a lot of questions about Corpse, he'll wait for Corpse to answer them when he feels comfortable with Sykkuno.

But Sykkuno is okay waiting for Corpse for however long it may be.

◈◈◈

Here we are! Chapter 444444444444444444444444, btw I just wanna say thank you for reading this whoever you are and I hope you have a goodnight, morning, or afternoon!

Also, again if you notice any mistakes like grammar, spelling etc. Feel free to point them out! I appreciate it!

-fai