- Chapter 28-

"Finally," Asher huffed. "What took you so long?"

"Heh, sorry, Asher. I had to speak with a friend." Sykkuno responds.

Sykkuno hoists himself up into the carriage, sitting beside Asher. He puts his bags by his feet below him.

Asher shifted in his seat as the carriage began to move. He pulled out a small notebook from his own bag along with a pencil. Sykkuno could hear the sounds of scribbling and found it somewhat calming.

"What are you drawing?" Sykkuno asked, leaning over. Asher counters by flinching his notebook away from view. "Oh, sorry. Did you not want me to see?"

"No, it's just not done yet. It's an embarrassment to show you now."

"I see. I look forward to seeing it!"

Asher grumbles something vague and goes back to his drawing.

As for Sykkuno, he leans back, looking through the window mindlessly. All of a sudden, he has to travel back to Ambrose. Sykkuno felt both anxious and comforted, probably because he'll have Toast, Rae, Corpse and even Emma there for him. What would Mom and Dad think when they see him again? Regardless, he should leave the talking to Emma and Corpse. To the people who are actual royals.

He couldn't imagine a future with him being in any authoritative position, and frankly; He doesn't want it.

◈◈◈

Sykkuno woke up to gentle shakes. Asher was at his side, hand on his shoulder. "We're here."

Sykkuno nods and yawns while Asher steps out of the carriage, almost stumbling over. The herbalist grabs his bags and does the same, quickly catching up to Asher. He takes a good look at the castle. It looks different in some way. Sykkuno can only hope the people inside have changed too.

It's funny to him since he came to Offpire to get away from Ambrose, only to return to the home of the dreadful memories.

A woman, dressed in a well-tailored suit, walks up to both Asher and Sykkuno. "Welcome, to Ambrose," he says, bowing slightly. "My name is Gertrude. I'll be your attendant for the time of your stay."

"Where is your greenhouse?" Asher asked. "Ah, straight to the point, I see." Gertrude smiles. "No worries, you'll see it soon enough. Please, follow me."

Asher follows expectantly, holding onto his bags. "He's excited." Sykkuno realizes. However, his positive thoughts plummet when he apprehends he can't feel the same.

◈◈◈

Gertrude showed both Asher and Sykkuno to their sleeping quarters. Afterwards, Asher went with him to the greenhouse. Sykkuno, however, decided to stay behind, telling them both he would come over later. Gertrude had told him, when he did, to wear his uniform.

He looked up at the ceiling while resting on the bed. So far, the return to Ambrose is a bore. The brunet has thought about too much for one to handle recently. Ludwig told him that he should be maintaining a cover and work on his studies until Emma arrives. But he felt faint.

Sykkuno resisted the urge to take a nap right there and then on the comfy mattress. But Ludwig is right. If Offpire learns of Sykkuno's true intentions of travelling to Ambrose, he would be in significant trouble.

He lifted himself out of bed and slipped on his uniform. Then he grabbed his mailbag bag and slumped it over his shoulder. "Might as well check out the greenhouse..." Sykkuno thought.

As he's been there before, he didn't need Gertrude to show him the way.

However, while he was walking, maids and butlers threw him glances. He knew that they somewhat recognized him. It's only a matter of time before both The King and Queen learn of his presence.