- Chapter 1 -

Sykkuno had been travelling for days on end, walking and running away. He had slept under trees at night and used his rations carefully. But it always just came back to walking. He pulls out the map from his black leather bag and estimates that he's no longer than about a few hours away from the kingdom of Offpire. ''I'm not sure how I'll be able to provide for myself in a rich country, but it'll be much better than my old home for sure.'' Sykkuno had run away from Ambrose's town, a place where he felt unwelcome and verbally and mentally tortured every day.

''Oh Jesus,'' he says, slumping down against a large stone. Sykkuno searched through his bag to find something to eat, but the bag was empty of rations to the boy's surprise. ''Maybe some squirrels passed by and ate everything while I was asleep?'' he feels so tired. But he can't turn back since he has gotten so far already.

Sykkuno scours the surroundings and notices something sprouting up from the ground. After investigation, Sykkuno realizes it's basil. It looks fit for harvesting as well, so he carefully begins to prune it. Using a small pocket knife, he cuts the middle steam to the desired size of the leaves.

''Perfect!'' Even though basil on its own isn't the best meal, it still provides food. He prunes the rest of the basil he finds, then walks back towards the path and slumps back against the rock. ''I'll save the basil for later. I can't eat it all now.'' As someone who has been walking for an extended amount of time, he finds it easy to sit and take a breath. However, his tranquillity comes to an end when he hears a noise. Looking to the left, and sees an elegant carriage. It was decorated in rubies and emeralds. 

''Hey!'' he quickly snaps his head up and sees two people towering above him in the carriage. A young woman had called out to him. ''Where are you headed?'' She asked. ''I- just to Offpire,'' Sykkuno responds. ''We're heading there as well. You look like you've been travelling on your own for a while, step in.''

''I've just met you.''

''So?''

 He groggily gets up and steps into the carriage. He sits down and notices a symbol on the walls of the interior. It's an anchor, which usually resembles hope.

''Well, might as well start with introductions,'' the woman says. ''My name is Lily, my lover Michael is currently driving the carriage. We are from the town of Ambrose.''

''I'm Sykkuno, also from Ambrose. It's lovely to meet you.''

The two make small talk, nothing special. Lily offered Sykkuno some bread and a drink of water. Although he waits for Lily to take a sip of it before himself, he doesn't want to be getting poisoned. You can't blame him for being cautious, as Sykkuno just met these people. But after thanking her for allowing him to travel with them, he remembers he would much rather be here with absolute strangers than continue walking.

◈◈◈

Feeling a gentle shake on his shoulder, Sykkuno awakens, his eyes fluttering open. ''We've arrived,'' Lily says. He looks through the window of the carriage to gaze at the beautiful sight of Offpire. The country is invested in trading and services. The villagers are laughing together, playing music and dancing. ''This is as far as we can take you,'' Lily tells Sykkuno. ''Thank you so much, I'm in your debt.''

''Don't need to be so formal. You needed it.''

As he steps down, the one known as Michael greets him. ''Maybe we'll see you around.'' He tells the boy. ''Thank you,'' He looks away and begins to drive the carriage down the street. Here Sykkuno is, by himself, feeling lonely in a crowded place. Thankfully, he knows what to do. Running away with a plan that goes perfectly is so satisfying. He must be considerate as he doesn't have much money, but the brunet noticed a pharmacy when on the carriage ride. He opens the door and walks into the building. The interior is invested with plants. Hanging baskets, vases of a few decorative flowers, and shelves behind a counter display many jars and glasses of organized herbs.

''Hello,'' Sykkuno says to the person behind the counter. ''Oh, hello,'' he replies. ''I was wondering if a job was available here?''

The man quickly grabs a sheet of paper, explaining that this is a contract to make Sykkuno a trainee. ''Alright so. You will undergo a training session with a few others. During the session, you must meet a certain amount of criteria to pass!'' the man tells me. ''You're lucky, training starts tomorrow at noon.''

''Just go ahead and fill out this questionnaire,'' he said. ''I'll decide whether you're eligible to be enrolled in the training later, I kinda have things to do right now.''

''Could I ask for your name first?'' Sykkuno asks.

''Ludwig.''

''Nice to meet you, I'm Sykkuno.''

''All the same.''

He finishes filling out the questionnaire and hands it back to Ludwig. ''So you're from Ambrose,'' Ludwig says.

''Yes, I travelled here on foot on the pathway from the East.''

''Well, you should know this.''

Sykkuno involuntary leans his head in a bit. ''We actually have some connections with the royal castle,'' Ludwig tells him. ''Really?''

''Yup, most people usually come here to gain experience before going to work at the castle,'' he says. ''But the test at the castle is much more difficult, I hear.''

''How many people came here for experience?''

''Lots, maybe a hundred? Probably more, but most of them get rejected by the castle and sent back. Not to mention, my partners Yvonne and Edison supply herbs from other countries and kingdoms for the castle.''

''That's incredible, doing what you love and travelling around the world?''

Ludwig chuckles. ''Yes, it's quite nice. Although the two of them can be a little annoying sometimes.''

''Hopefully, I'll get to meet them, but I should be off now,'' Sykkuno says.

''Good day,'' Ludwig tells Sykkuno with a small wave. The boy waves back and walks outside, looking for the Inn he had spotted earlier. He has enough gold to provide a place to stay for a few nights, but he needs to pass this training. Working with herbalism is the only thing Sykkuno finds himself good at.

The Inn was expensive but affordable. he walks into his room and immediately flops onto the bed. ''Ughhhhh, I still haven't bought any food yet, but it was getting dark, and I'd rather just sleep.'' he thinks.

Not bothering to change his clothes, Sykkuno snuggles under the blankets and closes his eyes. Each day from here on out is going to be tiring, ''I just know it.''

◈◈◈

Well, this is it, the first chapter :) I'll put this out here now, I'm most likely going to be updating two or three times a week. 

(I'm looking over this chapter a few months later, just to let you know, I do not have the motivation to do that o-o) 

Maybe more maybe less, but I hope you enjoyed this so far! Of course, constructive criticism is always allowed and appreciated. 

Bye! :)

-fai