- 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫 -

Trigger warning 

MOON woke up in a cool sweat; it took her a while to fully wake up after the sudden awakening. Her breathing grew rapid as she couldn't gain a sense of her surroundings. She slid off the chair she had fallen asleep on, curling up on the carpet. Moon rested her head in between her knees trying to calm her breathes, however, every time she began to gain some composure her brain would remind her of the dream of which awoke her. Losing all control of her mind she gripped her hair and gritted her teeth, squeezing her eye shut. It was early in the morning the sun had not risen, no one was awake no one could bring her back to reality. She had to. Using the technique Fleur had taught her, she began to imagine herself and Lupin dancing around their small living room while listening to his muggle music. A small smile fell onto her face as her breathing slowed down, then her mind shot back to her nightmare consuming her happy memory with darkness. Mackenzie kicked her feet attempting to terminate the pain. She repeated the phrase 'you're safe' as her hands cover her ears. 

The walls felt as if they were closing in, they were crushing the life out of her. Wobbling her way into a standing position she lurched herself towards the common room door; tearing her way through the castle, the young Nightshade was in desperate need for air. In her mad rush to get to the courtyard, she slammed into what felt like a wall. Tumbling to the floor, as a result, the thumping agony slashing its way through her head worsen, leaving her immobile.

"Moon? Are you okay?" A familiar voice entered her ears, she nodded her head hoping he would leave, saving herself some embarrassment. The boy bent down to her eye level, seeming to realise what was happening; Neville's eyes were filled with worry though his face tried to appear reassuring. I seemed as if he knew what he was doing as he slowly approached her. Taking off the jacket he wore over his PJs, he wrapped it around Moon's shoulders. The brown-haired boy's hands were placed on either side of her upper arm. "Let's breathe together shell we, in on one and out on two, ready?" 

"Noo, no. I can't stop it. I can't." she puffed out absolutely petrified. Millions of thoughts rushed through her head like her brain wanted her to go mad. 

"It's okay, it's okay. I've got you. I'll give you a butterbeer if you can breathe with me." Mackenzie shook her head yes and began breathing with the boy. Her breathing soon fell into a rhythm as her shoulders relaxed. "You got it." 

"I need- I need some fresh air," Mackenzie mumbled rather embarrassed that Neville had seen one of her bigger episodes. Of course, a couple of people had seen her freakouts, however, for a reason, she couldn't think of, she was fearful he would judge her. More fearful them she'd been before, Moon didn't want to scare him off.  

"Come, we'll go for a walk." Helping her to stand up she pulled the jacket closer to herself as they enter the bitter grounds. After a couple of minutes in silence, Neville broke the silence.

"Would you like to talk about it?" Neville uttered quietly as if him talking too loud would scare her off. 

"Not really," her voice came out tiny, her shock had not worn off yet leaving her still quite shaken up. They both went mute again, neither not knowing what to say.

"Did you know there are these shrubs that self fertilise and feed on flesh?" Neville realised how uncomfortable she looked and started talking about the first things that came into his head. "And they have these leaves that- sorry... I probably boring you with plant facts." Neville glanced away, cheeks turning red. 

"Um no, I think it's cute," Moon blurted out. 

"Huh?" 

"I think it's- it's cool. You have something you're so passionate about." The Ravenclaw girl rambled on nervously.