17

Issy stood completely still, braced for impact and yet the words out of her mother's mouth were shocking to the core.

"Your Doeshar is coming here to meet with your father. I wonder if he has arrived as yet, what do you think Isalinah?"

"I think that you should refrain from referring to the Doeshar as mine, mother." Issy responded as cool as she could manage. This was why her mother let her feel as though she had won their previous little fight, she had an ace up her sleeve the entire time.

"Your father is determined to find out what your male is up to. Tell me daughter did he reveal anything of note during your time together?" A'Shanna continued, completely ignoring Issy's last comment, "I am sure you father would consider any insight you may provide... " she trailed off.

Issy was literally trapped between a hard place; the wall and her mother. The female was many things, but she had always been a good and engaged parent, she knew Issy like the back of her left hand and while her father was Doeshar of their House, her mother owned the hearts and adoration of every person working within her household. The female knew far more then she was letting on.

"While I am sure the Doeshar would enjoy the view, it would be best if you changed into something a bit more... tasteful before we join their table." She stated while gesturing at Issy's dress.

"WHAT!" Issy responded as all sense of calm had abandoned her. She had expected to have another full day to prepare herself to interact with the Doeshar again. While spending time with Massillon was becoming a welcomed activity in Issy's head, she was not yet prepared to do so under the watchful eyes of her family. She had been set up, Issy realised.

"I don't think it would be appropriate for us to interrupt their meeting, mother," Issy began again, " I am sure father has the Doeshar well in hand."

The absolutely dubious look on A'Shanna's face was enough to let Issy know that her mother wasn't buying any of the bullshit she was attempting to sell.

"Gods above, where did I go wrong with this one?" A'Shanna exclaimed quite dramatically.

"Isalinah, my child, you must understand that a Doeshar is a busy male with much to do and many who would wish to gain access to his time and attention. If you are to win the male you must make your presence known and obvious. This is not the time for subtlety!" She lectured on.

"I will also have you know that I have it on good authority that your male is leaving the continent on the night after our little get-to-gather. You have done well to peck his interest but if you are to keep it and even secure a formal invitation to Milan then you must do more that wait on the male to seek you out."

Little get-to-gather, Issy thought was a snort.

"You do recall mother that this is not the first time I have courted a male, correct?" Issy responded, a bit embarrassed by her mother's attempts to interfere.

"And you cannot forget that father intends this courtship as a truth seeking exercise," Issy parroted which her mother waved off.

"Oh I am aware of your track record with the opposite sex, my child, and to be frank; you are not every good at the discipline," A'Shanna stated, " and your father barely trusts his own shadow as you well know. I am sure that when that little meeting below stairs is over and your father is sufficiently satisfied of the Doeshar's intentions, he will support this courtship in earnest and you must be ready for what that will mean."

The barb cut deeper than Issy had expected. She herself knew she did not have the best dating history and would never be considered the fem fatal her mother had been, but the barb stung all the same. This must have been obvious as A'Shanna continued in a softer tone and an affectionate palm to her fallen cheek.