26

"Where is mother?" Issy asked softly.

"A'Shanna is being dramatic," Raphael informed her with an eye roll, "look to the third pillar on the right, my personal guard tells me she is there." The usual annoyance with his mate was evident but the good humour was not. This fight between her parents was bigger than Issy had realised.

Issy fought the urge to turn around and look at the stone pillars adoring the palace, instead using the reflective surface of the tinted windows of the various vehicles in the open to look for the female. Sure enough, she spotted the female perched nearly three stories high looking down at them like a dangerous, beautiful bird of prey. Yes, Issy thought, very dramatic as she watched the skirts of her mother's dress move around her in the wind. She wanted to bring up her father unkind tone towards her mother but decided against such as action, this was neither the time or the place for such a conversation. If her father refused to address the matter, his mate would bring it up, afterall A'Shanna was not one to stew forever.

Instead Issy busied herself packing away the essentials her father had presented. By the time her was finished it was time to depart. She wanted to talk more with her father but she didn't want to delay her trip either. The male, ever perceptive, seemed to have notice the indecision in Issy because he spokee up, breaking the uncomfortable silence between them.

"Come, it is time to depart if you are to cover any real distance before sunrise." Raphael announced. This got Issy moving as he placed a hand on her shoulder and led her to the vehicle. Issy put her free hand around him as she knew her father was not one for initiating public displays of affection.

"I shall be safe and call unto you should the need arise," Issy vowed. She knew he was worried no matter what reassurances Rulal had given. The staff had backed away several feet to give them some semblance of privacy and while facing away Raphael allowed some real emotions to show on his face.

"You must know that I do not blame you for what has occurred." The statement shocked Issy and she dropped her gaze from the intensity of her father's blue depths. She only nodded, not trusting her voice. The way he had come to her room just hours ago to bid her to come to the dinner had made her feel as though he did blame her.

"You may end this courtship when you are ready." Raphael half whispered as he bent his head and dropped a brief kiss on Issy's forehead.

3 weeks later

Isalinah pulled onto the side of the road. It was a few miles from the trail she would take to reach the Institute. She needed to arrange a vehicle pick up before going to far for proper cellphone reception. The trail was intended to be taken by foot and while the all terrain suv might survive some of the trip, this is the way she was first taken to the Institute by her teacher and every trip she had made since. It was a difficult hike even for a vampire and needed to be completeed within a 10 hour window to avoid sun exposure, a fast pace had to be maintained to make that time. Only the advance students could go to the Institute because only advance warriors could make the trek there.

After making the necessary calls and sending intended coordinates for a meet up point, Issy continued driving to those coordinates. When she pulled over at what she hoped to the gods that be was the best starting point, Issy busied herself packing a reasonable survival pack. The trip usually took 10 hours but there was always the chance of something going wrong. The trial was not maintained by the senior overseers who lived at the Institute so she had no clue what laid ahead. No one had died on the trail in over 30 years and it would be shameful to be the first. She pushed a few packs of preserved meat and calorie dense cereal bars into the pack as well as a thermos of hot water. The 64 Oz insulated bottle was heavy in comparison to all the other things in the pack but experience had showed Issy that the thermos was worth its weight as the cold night air caused her to shiver in the rapidly cooling vehicle. Next she changed her shoes and pulled on her thickest jacket, ear muffs and gloves.