24

Isalinah had been on her second glass when guests began to file into the large room. Several eyes met hers and heads dipped in greeting but no one approached her to form a conversation. Judging by the vampires in attendance, all Magistrates, it must have been the formal review for the Magistrates of her House and this was the reception after. She had sat through many dinners like these as a young vampire however as she had entered adulthood and it became clear that her interests did not lie with the law of her House or its administration, Issy had no longer been required to attend. Instead, she had spent more time with the Highguards, a crowd that she feel more at home with.

Her father had entered with little fanfare, at ease with his closest subjects. Issy had watched his eyes scan the room in search of her and when he had landed in her, the sole person in the room in all black he had nodded his approval and taken his seat at the head of the table.

No one spoke more than a pleasant greeting to Issy the entire time. No one was rude and she was sure any of the vampires seated there was suffer a conversation if she had insisted on one. Afterall, to ignore a female of Isalinah's rank in the presence of her Doeshar and father was a dangerous move. She had seen Lord Hayden enter the room at her father's side. When the male had spotted her, the corners of his mouth had lifted into a smile as he attempted to move towards her, but he had been called back by her father who had whispered into his ear. His face had hardened in understanding and stayed at her father's side.

The closest vampire to her was Lord Mathew, a distant cousin and one of the younger Magistrates. He had served as Hayden's assistant for many years before receiving his promotion and they had often spoke as the senior magistrate interrupted Issy's class with Rulal to steal away his mate. The male had sent what Issy assumed was intended as a friendly smile her way and tapped the chair next to him, encouraging her to move seats but, Issy had shook her head in refusal. That smile was genuine but so was the pity underneath. The pity was there in Lord Hayden's kind eyes and every other male and female in the room. She was the sad wallflower who had lost her bid for the attentions of a Doeshar. Issy wondered quite morbidly if the formal withdrawal of courtship had been one of the documents dealt with at tonight's meeting. Judging by the pity party looks she was receiving, Issy was sure it had been.

Draining the glass in a most unladylike manner, Issy signaled to the attendant for more wine just as her mother walked into the room. The Consort was in a beautiful gown of yellow with various shades of orange, mustard and brown pieces of fabric shaped into flowers. Her eyes scanned the room and the female release a sign as her face feel on Isalinah.

"My Lord, I am sorry for this interruption but I must speak with you on a matter of great import... now," A'Shanna bluttered out quickly, putting more than a little emphasis on the "now,". She eyes drifted once more to Issy before she turned back to Raphael again. There was ice in the look she gave her mate and Issy realised that her mother was mad. Her eyes when shot to the head of the table where her father sat gripping his fork tight, his face had lost any contained joy it once held.

"A'Shanna, I am busy and we shall speak later," the words left her father's mouth were quiet and calm but that calm was only surface deep. This was bad, Issy realized, her father always seemed to have an endless amount of patience where her mother was concerned and generally seemed to enjoy his arguments with her.

"Issy is-"

"The Lady Isalinah is fine!" Raphael announced loudly, interrupting whatever his mate was about to say. Issy realised with dread that they were fighting about her. The table had gone completely silent and no one dared to say a word.

"Mother," Issy shot up from her seat and went to her mother's side, "My Liege is right, I am just fine. Please, there is no need to interrupt this reception on my behalf for I am enjoying the food."