1

Isalinah pulled at the top of her dress for what felt like the millionth time in a futile effort to cover her ridiculous cleverage from preying eyes of human males staring like hungry animals. She knew she could defend herself if matters came to a head. However, she couldn't help but squirm under all those eyes, fearing in part that she might be recognised as the second child of Raphael Odim himself. That was be too awkward for any imaginable social protocol to fix.

There were many upsides to being the second child of Raphael Odim but also many drawbacks as well. No one saw Issy the female, they only ever saw Isalinah the daughter. She had no personality outside her status and it bothered Issy that she, a strong intelligent warrior was seen as nothing more that a prized breed mare.

"She'll make excellent heirs" was the single compliment her last would-be suitor had given in a chat with her brother.

It had burned like a slap to the face to know that was all Lord Alderah saw in her.

"The rest was just the equivalent of cake icing. Of course she's pretty!" He went on to add, "...but then which high born female isn't some kind of pretty. Her genes are the true prize."

Which is what lead Issy to buy this stupid dress from Amazon with her cousin May's credit card and come to this night club place, she believe it called, to find a lover who didn't know about her breeding.

Issy wasn't a vain girl at all but she knew she was pretty with her smooth dark skin the colour of strained mohoney. She was her mothers copy who hailed from the House of A'shalah originating in Kush modern day Sudan. She carried none of her father's Anglo-saxon features except her hair was not as tightly coiled as her mother's. She also had a heart-shaped face and full almond shaped eyes. Her lips were pump with a pronounced cupid's bow. She had long coils of natural hair which she pulled up high in a bun to compliment the roundness of her face. Her body was muscled from years of training but she still retained much of her curves no matter how hard she worked out as food was her first love.

Issy was no fool, she knew she would have to mate within her class as high born vampires cared nothing for colour; class and blood was paramount. Her father would never consent to her mating a male of a lesser class or breeding. She knew he would prefer a male of equal status to his own a Doshar in his own right of an ancient and powerful House. A male whose wealth and power was seconded to none and equaled by just a few. She grew up in a home with a Doeshar at its head and a Doeshar'ee as an older more important sibling. She knew what it meant to be second all the time. Her parents loved her to be sure but she was a happy mistake, a Sideshow Bob to her brother Arion. That's what she would continue to be as the consort of a Doeshar.

"May I share your table, female?"

The deep male voice jumped Issy from her thoughts like a bucket of cold water. She looked up at the speaker to find... Well shit a male supermodel.

He was the kind of male one had wet dreams about. Simply put Issy was struck stupid by the face and body before her. Then the sex on legs smiled revealing the telltale pointed, slightly elongated canines of a vampire matching those in Issy's own mouth.

Regaining some brain function Issy took a deep breath taking in as much of the males scent as she could. Looking for any traces of female on the male to indicate he had a lover or mate. While male vampires were well known for being territorial of their mates, females were just down right blood thirsty. Issy could not risk the attention a confrontation with a jealous mate would lead to.

The male waited patiently as he was assessed, seemingly unbothered by her open inspection of him. There was a confidence to his posture as though he was sure she would let him sit with her.