Our Old Friend, Death

"Get a load of this guy." Hope murmurs as I make my way towards the werewolf dungeons to meet our newest monster.
    "Wow he's ugly." I whisper back.
    "I heard that!" the new monster yelled and folded his arms across his chest, "Tremble in the presence of The Necromancer! Bringer of life and death. He who holds the Fates' threads! The king of the Underworld!" he yells dramatically.
    "So the devil?" I ask simply.
    "No! God no! He's a little prick, I am much better than him!" he contorts.
    "Right...so what do we do with him?" I question raising my eyebrow at Hope.
    She shrugs, "We have some other things to do right now. Dr. Saltzman said Dorian will keep an eye on him."
I nod along. Today is Lizzie and Josie's Sweet 16 Birthday. And of course they're going all out with escorts, loads of lights, and dances.
       Hope is obviously Lizzie's and Landon is Josie's. While I'm just-I'm invited and Lizzie wants me to help with the live music, there's a band, but obviously they aren't good enough for Lizzie.
"You..." The Necromancer points at me and I raise my eyebrows in confusion, "You have a lot of spirits around you, I think that's your father watching over you." I look behind my shoulder to see nothing there.
       "Come on let's go!" Hope whispers and I nod.
       "Have fun at the twins party! I know it's gonna be a blast." he says with a menacing smile.
       "Not creepy at all." I whisper and Hope widens her eyes with a nod.
We headed up to Dr. Saltzman's office to ask him about what he wanted us to do for the girl's party. But we're met with him, the twins, and a woman I've never seen before.
All of them look distressed and confused, "Uh...should we come back later?" I ask.
        Dr. Saltzman seemed to have dropped his gaze from the unknown woman, "Um yes please. You guys know what to do and what to decorate for the party. I-The girls will be there to help you too soon."
        "Are you okay love?" I hear Hope mumble to Lizzie.
        "I'll tell you later." she whispers back and I give Josie a small nod and she smiles softly.
        "We'll see you guys out there. Let us know if you need anything." Hope says as we shuffle out of the room together.
The two of us exit the room and to the main hall where the boys were setting up the party. Most of it looked like it was almost done.
"Hey how's the new song coming along for the girls?" Hope asks.
         "Not good. I barely have lyrics for it." I say defeated.
         "Well it looks like the guys have it covered. We could go back to your room and I could try to help." she suggests.
I nod as we switched directions heading straight for the dorms. I unlocked the door opening it to see a man sitting on the bed fiddling with my guitar strings.
          He had curly brown hair. He was fairly lean and muscular and didn't look a day over 22. Wearing a maroon button up with all the buttons undone. The sleeves were rolled up a little past his elbows. With a gray t-shirt underneath and black jeans.
         I turned to Hope and she was on defense mode. The man turned his head towards us. His forest green eyes stared back at me like deer in headlights.
"Dad?" I whisper.
    "Hey rockstar." he says with a smile.
    "This can't be real." I whisper, shaking my head, taking a step back while running into Hope.
    "Dr. Saltzman!" Hope yells out the door, but we all know he can't hear, "I'll be back." she whispers as she runs out the room.
My Dad puts down the guitar and stands up taking a hesitant step closer to me. I take a deep breath closing my eyes, shutting them tight in hope that it's just my imagination.
    But when I open my eyes he's still there with his same old dad smile. The smile he would have on his face when I learned the guitar. When I came home with an A on my test. When he would pick me up from school. It was my dad...alive.
"Bentley! Are you okay?" Dr. Saltzman asks and I take a look at him.
The unknown lady was there with him along with the three other girls. All of them were staring in shock.
"Yeah. I'm just confused." I say softly and he squeezes my shoulder.
    "Who are you?" Dr. Saltzman asks sternly.
    "I'm Hayes Quinn. Bentley's my daughter. And I'm supposed to be dead, but I have no idea how I got here." he states.
    "Guess we're not the only ones with dead parents running around." Lizzie mumbles annoyed.
    "Wha-" I begin to say, but I'm cut off.
    "Hi I'm Josette. The twins birth mom." the unknown lady says simply.
       "Are you guys okay?" I ask softly and the twins both release a shaky breath before nodding.
       "Are you?" Josie asks.
       "To be determined..."
My dad stared at me with loving eyes. He was my best friend in the entire world before cancer kicked his ass. Then everything fell apart in my life.
"We're assuming that they're the next monsters from Malivore, but we have no idea how they're here or what they're gonna do." Dr. Saltzman says.
       "I thought The Necromancer was the monster?" I ask.
       "We think he's the one behind it." he adds on and I nod.
       "Wait how is your dad younger than when he died?" Josie asks.
I looked at my dad and he looked good for when I last saw him. He was 35 when he died and skinny and pale. But he looks young and hopeful and healthy.
"I have no idea."
My parents had me when they were quite young. My dad was 23, on the verge of being a rockstar. He got a record label contract and everything. He was performing small shows around the Mystic Falls. Hayes Quinn was on the verge of releasing his first album.
        Blakely Quinn, my mom, previously known as Blakely May was the popular girl. The cheerleader with daddy issues. She was just riding along.      
        They weren't married or dating. It was a one night stand, a surprise as some would say.
My dad dropped his dream: quit the label, stopped performing, and started going to school. Just to sit behind a music store front counter for the rest of his short life.
        My mom was at home riding along just like she always did. She stayed home, not working or trying to find a job, but rather got high or drunk at home. Even when she was pregnant with me. Neither of them were happy. My dad just didn't have the heart to tear his family apart especially after having my little sister Danielle or Dani for short.
Just the thought of both of my parents and my little sister brought fear and sadness to my heart, "No this can't be real. He can't be here!" I exclaim as I begin to pace the room.
         "It's really me kiddo." my dad whispered.
God it even sounded like him. But this isn't real. This is just a sick trick.
"No you're not. You're not what you looked like when you died!" I yelled as I felt my chest get heavier and heavier.
         "Ben, I just didn't want you to see me in such a terrible memory. I wanted to look happier for you and show you that I'm okay." my dad whispers.
         "Ben?" Josie adds on and I turn to her.
         I nod, "He used to call me that because he was so sure I was gonna be a boy." I sniffle clearing my throat to stop the sting in my eyes, "So when you started calling me that, it brought back so many happy memories. I didn't want you to stop."
         Dr. Saltzman places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it yet again, "It's gonna be okay."
    "How?! How is it gonna be okay?! Your dead wife is standing here, the twins birth mom who they've never met is with them, and my dad who has been dead since I was 12 is sitting on my bed! This is not okay!" I yell at him, "They're supposed to be monsters!"
My emotions were running haywire. My pacing becomes heavier and faster. My dad can't be there, I can't be with them right now.
Alaric tries saying something, but I cut him off, "I'm sorry. I can't be here right now." I whisper before running out of the room and into the woods.
The woods were cool as the breeze hit over me. I just kept running and I didn't want to stop. But I found myself at the dock where my birthday party was.
      I shrugged off my shoes and dunked my feet in the water. I took a couple deep breaths before closing my eyes, listening to the sounds of the water collapse.
"Ben?" I hear Josie's voice cut in through the calming sounds of water.
I don't respond, but she takes off her shoes and sits next to me. She places her head on my shoulder and I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Before hesitantly putting my head down on hers.
"I can't believe he's here. Because once we defeat whatever the hell The Necromancer has in store he's gonna be gone again. If I don't get close to him, it won't matter. It won't hurt as much." I whisper finally breaking the silence.
       "I know what you mean. Lizzie is on the fence about all of it. She's always been more like our mom-Caroline. Me...I never really fit in." she whispers, "But seeing our biological mom. I want to get close, but I don't know."
       "God I'm sorry. I made this all about me. I didn't stop to ask how the two of you were handling it." I say shaking my head softly.
       "No it's okay. We're okay just a little shaken up. I know you don't want to get too close, but he's still your dad. Just be cautious." she reassures placing a hand on the top of mine.
The two of us stayed there in calming silence. Even with your dead parents showing up just the comfort the two of us held just sitting watching the lake was enough. It was enough to calm each other's nerves.
"Where's Landon? Have you talked to him about this?" I ask.
       "No. I don't know. Me and him, it doesn't seem right anymore." she confesses.
       "Why?" I ask, trying to contain my excitement.
       "I think you know why..." she says and for the first time since she got there she finally looks at me.
        I'm about to respond when I'm cut off by Lizzie's voice, "B, your dad's worried about you. I think you should talk to him."
Josie gives me a small nod to indicate that we'll talk more later. Lizzie gives me a small hug, holding me tight ever so slightly.
        I head back into my room and notice that it was only my dad in the room. He was still sitting there fiddling with the guitar strings playing this wonderful medley.
"That brunette girl, one of the twins, she really cares for you." he says looking up from the guitar with a smirk.
        "I mean you've been dead, I assume you see what goes on in my life." I state sitting next to him at the foot of my bed.
        "Yeah I have. I like the two of you together." he states simply, "So Lizzie told me that you are writing a song for their birthday. Can I hear it?"
        I rub the back of my neck nervously, "See here's the thing, I don't have anything written. I have no idea. I've been trying, but nothing has come up."
        "Remember when you said I know everything?" he asks and I nod, "I'm giving you this journal because I know you have not written anything."
He pulls out a small journal from off my bedside table. It was filled with his familiar handwriting. It was the handwriting that once filled my lunch box notes.
"There's a bunch of songs in there. Pick one you like!" he exclaims.
       I flip through the pages, but none of them feel right, "Dad?" you ask hesitantly and he smiles nodding, "I don't know how much time we have together, but can we write a song together?"
       His smile seems to widen, "Of course rockstar."
For most of the day my dad plays random melodies and lyrics trying to find something that works.        As much as I didn't want to get close I've missed him. Especially seeing him in a whole new light, so young and healthy.
       When he got sick I was 10. He was a fighter who survived 2 years with something a doctor said he wouldn't survive for 3 months. Then he went into remission, got a little better, but it came back worse than ever. Yet, he still supported his family with the music store and cooked food.
       He gave up his dream of playing music and making music to support two kids he didn't get to see grow up.
"Can I ask you something?" I whisper breaking him out of his groove with the guitar.
       "Anything." he says setting the guitar down and staring at me.
       "Do you regret it? Leaving behind the music to take care of us. You dropped your dream for me and Danielle. A once in a lifetime opportunity you dropped." I ask, guilt looming over me at how I forced my dad to drop his dream.
       "No, not at all. You and your sister were the best things that have ever happened to me. The only regret I have is not fighting harder to stay for the two of you." he says placing his hand on my shoulder.
As if on instinct I pushed myself into his arms as he held me tight. He still had the same scent he had when I was younger.
       The smell I used to feel when I would actually cry. Or when I could actually feel some type of emotion and was allowed to feel it. He would place me on his lap and wrap his arms around me as I just cried in his arms.
      He smelt woodsy with hints of apple and maple syrup. It was difficult to explain, but the comforting feeling it brought to me was more than I could ever ask for.
"Hey kiddo? Did you hear about that guitar that got baked?" he asks and I groan knowing that it's gonna be one of his many dad jokes, "It was highly strung! Get it, get it..." he says, nudging my shoulder.
       I pulled away from the hug and nodded, "Yes dad I got it."
       "But in all seriousness kiddo, I'm always here with you. Maybe not physically, but if you just look up at the stars, that's where we all are." he whispers with a smile.
Suddenly a lightbulb clicks on in my head! That's it!
"Dad! I think I know what we're gonna write!" I exclaim.
Josie's POV
"So what's going on between you and Bentley?" my biological mom asks as she brushes my hair.
    "It's complicated. There's definitely something there, but then there's Landon and I don't know." I explain sighing at the thought.
It's definitely something I thought of before. Bentley has always been a very cute looking girl, but she was always preoccupied with other things. I never thought she would feel the same way.
    But her songs. Her protectiveness. Her simple touch. And the very few kisses we have shared just make my heart flutter in more ways I thought possible.
"From what I've seen and eavesdropped from being dead, I think everyone is rooting for the two of you. And deep down you really know who you want to be with." she whispers.
    "People are rooting for us? Even Lizzie?" I ask.
    "Oh yeah at first she wasn't on board, but after her and Bentley talked they worked everything out. They all have bets on it now." she says with a small smile.
And everything finally clicked.
    Bentley Rae Quinn. I don't want to be with Landon. I want to kiss her and hold her. I want to be with her.
    But is now the right time?
Bentley's POV
It was now time for the twins' birthday party. My dad helped me pick an outfit after countless times of him saying: "That looks very inappropriate!"
    Needless to say, the song is done and it's even more special because when we recorded the background vocals he sang along with it. And his voice brought me back to the time where he would lull me and Danielle to sleep with sweet lullabies.
"Can I walk you down there?" he asks, "It would be nice to see you perform live and actually in person."
    My smile widens, "I would really like that."
We walked down the stairs together and towards the pathway towards the actual school. But before we could make it to the actual hall, we ran into Josie and her mom. Josie was wearing this beautiful pink dress and her hair was down and curled.
My dad nudges my side, "Wow Josie you look, you look beautiful."
    "Thank you." she whispers and I catch the rosiness tint her cheek, "You look great too."
    "Happy Birthday Josie." my dad says smiling and she thanks him.
    "Now what are we waiting for? We have a birthday party extravaganza to get to!" her mom says.
Josie and I were walking side by side, our hands merely brushing against each other once in a while. We were just having small conversation, both of us either blushing or stuttering over our words.
"So back to our conversation earlier," Josie begins to say when we hear a low growl coming from behind us.
My protective mode turns on and we both turn around. I stand in front of Josie keeping my arm behind me to let her know that everything will be okay. Our parents didn't look like our normal parent, but rather them with very monster looking faces.
    Their faces looked like zombies and both of them were staring at us like we were their lunch. And all of a sudden they came charging right at us. I turned my eyes into their yellow hues getting ready to fight them off. But they were too fast.
    I intertwined Josie's and I hands together and the next thing you know everything went black.
My eyes fluttered open at the sound of rapid breathing and cries filled my ear. It was pitch black and I was in a very secluded space.
"Jo, hey is that you?" I ask.
    "Y-yeah." she gets out between panicky breaths.
    "It's gonna be okay, okay? I'm right here." I say.
It seems like we were buried alive. But they didn't put us in separate coffins; we were in one big one.
    I reach out my hand and she intertwines it together. I take the pads of my thumb and rub it softly on her hand. Her breathing was still heavy and I could tell she's freaking out.
"How could this happen?!" Josie exclaims.
    "They're from Malivore. I just didn't think they were gonna come after us. But everything is gonna be okay, I promise." I whisper.
    "How?!" she yells and I know she's only freaking out.
Her breathing was getting wild as she started to hyperventilate. I try to turn around in this confined box.
"Jo, look at me," I whisper and she turns to face me in her box, "Hey Hope is gonna find us and they're gonna get us out of here. But I need you to breathe, I don't want you to pass out, okay?"
I put my hand on her face softly caressing her cheekbones. Her breathing seemed to become more relaxed and more okay. She reaches out hesitantly, her fingers graze over my face. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.
    A small smile formed on Josie's face. I scooted in a little closer to her until we were face to face.
"I really like you." she whispers softly and I smile.
    "I really like you too."
There was some rustling going on from above as we heard digging start to endure. I kept a hold around her hand as the casket flew open. Hope, Lizzie, MG, and Penelope (what the-) were standing above us out of breath and with relieved smiles.
    Penelope glared as she saw our hands intertwined, but I didn't mind that she saw. And apparently neither did Josie. MG and Hope extended their hands out towards me and Josie before pulling us up onto our feet. Our hands never leave each other.
"Where's Mom?" Josie whispers.
    "Her and B's dad is with dad in our room. Mom wants us to put magic on them to help them find peace. So they're not controlled or compelled to hurt anyone again." I swallow and close my eyes softly.
    "We're gonna say our goodbye's?" I ask.
    "Yeah." she murmurs.
    "Let's get this over with."
Josie and I walked hand in hand in front of the group. We both took a deep breath before going into the room. Our parents were standing with Alaric and they turned to us with guilty eyes.
"Girls, we didn't know what we were doing. We were okay one second and the next thing you knew we were on the floor and the two of you were gone." Josette explains.
    "We're really sorry." my dad whispers and I can tell that tears are forming in his eyes, "Can I talk to you outside? Hope will be there to make sure I don't go haywire again."
I nod and head outside towards the hall. Hope stood at a reasonable amount of space between me and my dad.
"Look I know you have a millions of questions about everything, your grandfather had the werewolf gene and it triggered when he was in the war. I never triggered mine, but my dad told me all about it. I didn't know if you would have it or if your sister would, but you were so young at the time before I had died and I couldn't tell you then. So I'm sorry for not warning you." he explains.
    "Dad, I'm not mad about that." I whisper.
    "I know. You're mad at yourself about how you triggered it. You're guilty and you think you're a monster because of it, but kiddo, you can't let this eat you alive. This can't be the reason you push everyone away. I'm not mad at you and she's not mad at you either. Open up about what happened. Tell Josie and Lizzie and all over your friends." he goes on, "I'm so proud of you and the woman you're becoming. You are my greatest pride and joy. Just remember when you look up at the stars, I'm always watching down over you."
He now had tears flowing down his cheeks and mine matched with his. I collapsed into his arms yet again as he just held me tight. I quietly sobbed into his shirt as he rubbed his hands through my hair.
"Tell Josie how you feel. Don't overthink what you know is true in your heart. My first love Parker, I lost because I never felt good enough for her. Don't lose that. Hold onto her." he whispers.
    "I love you dad." I say in between sobs.
    "I love you more kiddo."
       "Can you do me one more favor?" he asks and I nod.
       "I've seen you've been to Mystic Falls Grill and met Parker. Tell her that it was always her and that I will always love her. And there's this little safe that I buried in the backyard of our old house. There's money for you and for her. Split it and tell her that I wanted her to have it." he says and I nod smiling.
       "I know she loves you too."
We headed back into the room as Josette and the twins were hugging. I turned to them with a small nod and smiled softly. They did their spell as we watched the two start to fade away.
A heavy silence looming over us, "I have your guys' gift. It's a song. I don't have any money, but I thought that this could help." I whisper trying to break the deafening silence.
They all nod and the rest of our friend group followed us into the hall where their birthday party once was. There was a piano there from the live music that was there before us.
    Perfect. MG was controlling the sound board for me, but I could handle the rest of this.
I started the piano intro as the song started.
{Bentley}
Look up at the stars, they're like pieces of art
Floating above the ground
It's a friday night and the streetlights are all saying your name
They always say your name
Before you go home I should let you know, I'm so glad that you came
I know that we went late
But look up at the stars
They're like pieces of art, floating above the ground
You know we could fly so far
The universe is ours
I'm not gonna let you down
I smiled at the twins, they're cheeks were still stained with tears, but they had the smallest smile on their face.
        The music picks up to a more upbeat tune and I bop my head to the music. MG, Jed, Hope and from what it seems like Penelope is bobbing their heads as well. Hope takes Lizzie's hands and starts dancing with her to try and cheer her up. Jed does the same with Josie as Penelope's arms are crossed trying to fight off the beat.
{Bentley}
I am feeling so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky)
I smile at the other lucky's that are being sung knowing that my dad's voice is the one behind all the background.
{Bentley}
The sun shining down on me (on me, on me, on me)
Got these angels all around me
I'll never be alone
Look up at the stars
They're like pieces of art floating above the ground
You know we could fly so far
The universe is ours
I'm not gonna let you down
I gesture for the rest of my friends to get up on stage. I scoot over on the piano bench to let Josie sit down next to me.
      The music dies down to a much softer tone as I start singing the second verse.
{Bentley}
Finally we met, now the lights are set
It's taking us till now, to be together in this town
A couple of years we've been making plans
Somehow you always seem to understand
So let me spend the night in wonderland with you
I turn to Josie when I sing the lyric and she just chuckles, placing her head on my shoulder lightly.
       Out of the corner of my eye I see Penelope storming away from the scene. But I don't let it bother me. Because as the music picks up again and all of my friends are trying to sing along and dance. That's all I could ask for.
{Bentley}
I am feeling so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky)
The sun shining down on me (on me, on me, on me)
Got these angels all around me
I'll never be alone
I stop singing and do a soft little piano part. I gesture for them to get a little closer to the piano.
{Bentley}
Look up at the stars they're like pieces of art
Floating above the ground
You know we could fly so far
The universe is ours
I moved my face closer to Jo's as I turned to face her. And she was smiling softly, no longer tear stained, but a smile that could shine brighter than all the stars in the world.
{Bentley}
I'm not gonna let you down
She finally leans in and kisses me softly. Her lips were so soft against mine. Cheers and whoop's started echoing throughout the empty hall.
      We pulled away and Josie had a big ol' blush and smile on her face. She hid her face in the crook of my neck as I smiled just as wide.
"So are you two dating?" Lizzie asks looking expectantly.
      I turn to Josie looking at her, "I have a few things to take care of, but I think that could be arranged in the near future."
      "HELL YEAH B!!!" Jed yells, shaking my body.
After a few minutes of talking and hanging out we went back to our dorms going our separate ways.
      I grabbed my journal from out of my drawer and the pen Penelope got me for my birthday and started writing. Finally at peace with myself about what happened.
I killed my mom and little sister to trigger my werewolf gene.