Midnight Coffee Race

"Jo?" my voice was soft, her nickname falling off my tongue like butter. Soft and easy as I made my way through the school looking for her.

It was in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday, the big supernatural exams that they make us take was tomorrow and Jo has been off studying. Many of us haven't been able to study because of our many many attempts to save the one true home we've ever known.

She told me that she was going to come to the room around lunch so we could visit my mom at the Grill, but she wasn't there. So I went on a little search. I went to the student lounge and that was where I found her on the large couch, asleep. A cream colored knitted blanket on top of her and a bunch of books and notebooks on the coffee tables and on top of her lap.

I smiled to myself at the little sleeping beauty in front of me. I made my way over to her, tiptoeing, careful not to wake her. I picked up all the books that were on top of her and closed them shut. I knelt down beside her, my hands cupping her jaw as my thumb caressed her cheekbones.

I chuckled lightly when she scrunched her nose and furrowed her eyebrows. Her eyes fluttered open, her features softening before a lazy smile spread across her face, "Hi love," she said, her voice above a whisper, and laced with grogginess.

I hummed, pressing my lips to her forehead, before kissing her cheek, and then then the tip of her nose. Then her nose scrunched up even more which caused my heart to flutter as she giggled.

"I thought you were supposed to be studying," I looked at her and she gave you a sheepish look back. She tried to hide her face with the blanket, but I just pulled the blanket back down.

"Change of plans?" she said in more of a question than a statement.

I pretended to think, placing my finger on my chin, jokingly, "I don't Jo, we both need to study really hard. We've been really busy lately, but I will let it slide if I can join in on this change of plans,"

Her smile grew wider as she opened up the blanket for me to join her. I did not hesitate to scooch in next to her and I fixed the blanket that was now securing the two of us. It was a tight squeeze, our legs tangled together as she adjusted herself. Her head lying in the crook of my neck. I could feel her warm breath as she just hummed in contentment.

"Can it be like this everyday?" she whispered, nuzzling in as close as possible.

"One day, my love," I said, my mouth right by her ear. I wrapped my strong arms around her tightly as the sun cascaded over the two of us.

The feeling of comfort and warmth and safety is something I haven't felt in many years. Her rhythmic heartbeat and soft snores was all it took for me to fall in deeper. Eventually, falling asleep myself.

There was a bright flash of light before little giggles rang throughout my ear, waking me up from my peaceful sleep. I could still hear Jo's soft snoring, and I let out a breath relief knowing that she wasn't awake.

I fluttered my eyes open to see Lizzie and Hope with their arms crossed. Pedro had Lizzie's phone in his hand as he took another picture as we woke up. I smiled lazily at the two of them stifling a yawn.

"You guys are so cute that it makes me want to vomit," Lizzie teased and I rolled my eyes.

"Mhm, like you and Hope weren't disgustingly cute in the beginning," I shot back in a whisper tone, careful not to wake up the beautiful girl in front of me, "What time is it?" I asked, noticing that the sun was far gone and the moon shined bright.

"11 pm," my eyes widened.

I haven't studied whatsoever for these exams and based on the state that I found Jo in she didn't either. I ran my hands over my face, trying to do the quick math in my head. It's 11 now, first exams are at 7. It'll take about eight hours to study for six different exams.