Falling Apart

This is a modern au! Din is a police officer in the au! Please don't hate if I get some terms wrong. Angst warning!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I sigh, cooking dinner after another lonely day. It wasn't unusual for Din to take on week-long shifts at the station, but it's beginning to take a toll on me. I knew what I was getting into when I married him. A police officer who is a bit of a workaholic. With the rise in crime rate in the area, Din was taking longer and longer shifts. And tonight there's reports of a riot over the scanner. I could hear my husband's voice over the scanner when he reported he was on his way to help provide backup for his fellow officers. I could see the flashing lights from the living room window, which worried me.

I finish cooking dinner and plate some food for myself, leaving enough for Din, just in case. I flinched slightly when I heard the gunshots. Fear ran through my veins as I worried if Din had been hit. Days like this were never good and there's been an increase in riots since the election. I always worried if Din would make it home alive or not. But thats all part of being a policeman's wife.

An hour later, the sirens and flashing lights started moving out and I assumed the riot was over. I pace the living room, chewing on my lips and nails as the anxiety rose in my chest. I hear car doors slamming shut and look outside to see one of Din's buddies, Mayfeld. I open the door a look of worry in my eyes.

"I came to get you. He got injured. I figured you'd want to be there." Says Mayfeld. I nod, quickly slipping into my shoes and throwing on Din's spare jacket he always let me use. I grab my purse and keys, shutting and locking the door behind me. I hop into Mayfeld's police cruiser and buckle in, looking out the window as he drives to the hospital. 

Once we got there, I got out of the car and slammed the door behind me, rushing into the hospital.

"My husband is a police officer. I heard he was brought here." The words tumbled from my lips before I even stopped at the reception desk.

"Name?"

"Djarin. Din Djarin." I say quickly. The lady types quickly and nods.

"I'll take you back to him." She says, walking out from behind the counter. I follow her through the large double doors to the emergency room, being led around a corner, stopping outside a room.

"He's in here." 

"Thank you." I whisper, bowing my head softly. I turned into the room and gasped when I saw Din's right side covered in blood. Din looks at me and his eyes widen.

"Love. Wh-when?"

"Mayfeld brought me here. I heard about the riot, I saw all the light. I heard the shots…" I ramble, walking up to the side of his bed.

"I'm fine. This blood isn't all mine. Grogu got shot and I was holding him. I got hit in the arm, but it's not terrible." Din says, taking my hand in his larger one. 

"H-how badly is Grogu hurt?"

"It missed vital organs. He's with the vet right now." Din says, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles to calm me.

"That's it. To make up for this, you are staying home with me for at least a week." I say firmly, looking Din in the eyes.

"Yes ma'am… I don't think they'll let me back until I'm healed anyways. I'll be in a sling for a bit." He says, releasing my hand to touch my cheek, wiping away my tears with his thumb. I lean into his touch, sniffling softly.

"When I heard the shots… i-it terrified me… I-I thought I might've lost you… I-I thought…" I trail off as Din shushes me, pulling me onto the bed next to him.

"You didn't lose me. I'm still here. And I'll be here for a long time." He whispers, hugging me with his only free arm. I sniffle and lean my head against his shoulder, breathing in his scent.

"I've missed you… you're always gone for weeks on end…" I whisper.

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm trying to save up for some time off. We could use a vacation." Din says, his hand holding me by my waist. I look up at him.

"Yeah… we could…" I whisper, sighing as I rested my head in its earlier position, staring at the white brick wall of the hospital. 

A few hours later, Din was discharged with a doctor's note saying he needed a week to recover. I stay silent on the ride home, wanting to keep the drama behind closed doors. Mayfeld drops us off at the house and Din thanks him, following me inside. I remove my shoes and jacket, hanging my purse up on its hook next to my jacket.

"Love… what’s on your mind? You've been silent the whole ride home." Din says, shrugging his jacket off of his shoulders and hanging it up.

"It's nothing." I whisper, not wanting to start a fight.

"It's not nothing. Tell me what's wrong." Din says softly, sitting down on the couch next to me.

"You're always at work, Din. Always. We never get alone time. And when we do, its always sex. I thought that when we got married, you'd be home more often. But if anything, you're home less. I cook meals every night. Making enough for if maybe you come home, but it just sits there, untouched. There's five dishes in there full of food I've made for you. But you're never home to eat with me. I'd love to share a meal with you. I'd love to have a movie night with you… but it's not happening. It took you getting shot to take any real time off." I say, my shaky resolve crumbling as tears spilled down my cheeks. Din stares at me, his brown eyes wide as he watches me unravel. 

"Every night, I worry that you'll never come home! I mean, I should've known what I was getting into when I married a workaholic. But I guess I didn't. I was young, and stupid. I never had trouble with my anxiety being this bad until I married you! A policeman's wife… normal wives get to see their husbands… you never call or text when you're gone. It's taking a toll, Din. I'm scared because I love you, so damn much. And I don't want this to end but if this continues… I'm afraid we won't last…" I sob, my deepest fears being revealed to my husband. A single tear rolled down Din's cheek before he hugged me tightly with his free arm.

"I'm sorry I made you feel this way love. I promise I'll try to get better… I promise… I want this to last… I want us to last. I'll work to become a better man. A better husband for you. I love you (Y/N)."

"I love you too Din…" I whisper, sniffling against his chest. After a few moments, I sat back and stood up. 

"Are you hungry? I-I have some food for you." I whisper, rubbing my upper arm.

"I'm starved. How about we make some popcorn and start up a movie? I'd love to cuddle you while we watch a movie of your choice." Din says softly. I smile, wiping my eyes.

"That sounds great." I whisper. 

"Good." Din says, standing up. 

"Let's do it." He whispers as he hugs me, kissing my jaw gently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope y'all liked it! Any and all requests for scenarios are welcome!

Luv Y'all,
Aisy Daisy