Chapter 23

"I'm doing ok. What about you, your Excellency," he replied, giving Saasha a reassuring look to ensure her that everything is fine.

"I am doing well. I heard, however, your padawan is in danger. Is that true?" he asked. Saasha used every bit of self-control she had to prevent her fists from curling.

"Um, yes. Why do you ask?" Anakin replied.

"That is terrible. The senate wishes to know what is going so we can help end this terrible mystery. Do you mind meeting with me?" The elderly man continued.

Saasha immediately furiously shook her head back and forth while mouthing the word 'no.'

"Sure, we can meet you shortly. We're on our way." Anakin arranged.

"Excellent. See you soon." Palpatine said before hanging up.

"Why would you do that?!" she whisper-shouted at him as the lift continued to descend slowly. There was a chance that Palpatine was involved in this, and now Anakin wants to have a meeting with him, WITH HER THERE!

"Saasha, do you trust me." he calmly asked, putting his hands on her shoulders but being extremely gentle with her wounded one.

She sighed before replying, "Yes. I trust you."

"Nothing is going to happen, I promise. I'll be right there with you, and even if something does happen, I won't let anything happen to you. Ok?" he reassured.

"Alright, but if ANYTHING goes wrong, I get to say 'I told you so,' got it?" she countered.

"Deal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With every step, Saasha took, the more her mind raced. They were now in the senate building almost at the Chancellor's office.

She trusted Anakin with her life, but she was still nervous that something would go wrong.

They finally made it to his office and stood at the doors as Anakin knocked. She gulped and took a big breath before the door opened.

"Anakin, my boy. Nice to see you again." Palpatine smiled at them."Nice to see you too." Anakin replied.

Saasha was confused; she thought there would be other senators there as well since he said the Senate wants to help. Why was he the only one here? That just made her even more nervous.

"Hello, young one. I believe we've met before. Saasha, isn't it?" he asked while extending his hand to shake.

She wasn't sure why but she couldn't manage to speak as she stared at his outstretched hand. His hand was pale and wrinkly. It reminded her what happened to her fingers and toes when she was in the ocean for a long time as a kid; they got all wrinkly.

It was like her throat just wouldn't move, so she managed a nod and continued to stare at his outstretched hand but making no effort to return it—the nervousness floating in her stomach.

"Please take a seat," he said once he realized he wasn't going to receive a handshake.

Saasha sat in the chair closest to Anakin but farthest from the Chancellor. Her knee was bouncing uncontrollably, and she felt like her whole body was shaking like a leaf on a windy day, though she tried to hide it as much as she could.

She could hear Anakin and the Chancellor talking, but she wasn't listening. Her mind was a whirlwind, and her throat felt dry. She stared blankly at the floor, eager for this meeting to end.

"Child are you alright?" she jumped in her seat as she was pulled from her panicking daze. The two men were looking at her, Palpatine was concerned, and Anakin confused.