There is no way that they will ever forgive me

This starts at the beginning of the third season
Art not mine

"These people did nothing to you" Rapunzel said thought the cold bars of the cell. Varian looked down at the ground in shame then back up facing Raps.
"its not what they did to me" he turned around, again feeling shame "Its what I did to them, and there is no way that they will ever forgive me" his voice cracking every now and them, the pain in his voice prominent.
"How do you know if you won't give them the chance?" Raps asked pleading with the teen.
Varian looked shocked that she would ask such a question,
"I took their queen prisoner, threaten their princess helped these guys take over their kingdom , you think anyone is going to give me a second change" he turned around and walked towards Rupunzle, in a non-threatening way, almost apologetic. "I don't think so. No making them forget is the only way to fix what I have done".  Being fifteen not knowing how to fix the problem he crated he didn't realize that the 'solution' he had would only make the problem worse, Rapunzel tried to explain this, but he wouldn't hear it.
"Actually, now that she's here, we don't have time for you to fix your memory formula" Andew said placing his hands on the teens shoulders and moving him aside.
"We are still using the formula you created, qurionion explodes, it will turn Corona to ashes" Clenitine smiled evilly; panicking Varian protested.
"No, we agreed no one would be harmed", while he was mad at Corona he still didn't want people getting hurt, being killed was crossing the line, even though he did try to kill Rapunzel. He knew the Saporians would not think twice on ending a life. The group tried to calm him down by telling him that he shouldn't end up on the wrong side of history, but he knew where he stood at this moment, where he had to put his foot down, when forgiving was the only way to end this on the right note. He pulled out a light blue ball in his black jacket pocket frowning his eye brows he walked towards them with the ball in the air.
"You betraying us boy?" Clemitain snarled.
"I'm getting on the right side of history" he thought the ball, but instead of some purple sticky goo or some other useful creation, bubbles formed all over the Saporians
"Ohhh, sorry guys, that was a bath bomb.". The jail door slammed shut with a bang locking the two former-friends behind the bars. Varian sat on the right bed with his legs up against his chest.
"All I ever wanted was for my dad to be proud. Of course if he was free from the amber now and saw everything I've done, well he would be ashamed" Rapunzel listened to Varian while he heard what Raps had to say about trusting people, they shared a small and soft smile. Just them Eugene and Lance broke Rupunzel out of the cell Varian closly following her.
"Where do you think your going little man" Lance said as he rubbed off the fake hairs on the boys chin. Rupunzel convinced the two men and Max that they needed him if they were going defeat the Saporians. As luck would have it they did. Raps went to get all the citizens to let them know about their susses that the sporians have been defeated. All the citizens ran out of Xsaviors hiding place in his work shop cheering and thanking Rapunzel. Till someone noticed a blue striped hair boy.
"Whats the little trader doing out of his cell" they called out. Varian looked down in shame, not knowing what to do, or who to look at. He knew that the people of Corona would hate him, and probably call him names, but that didn't mean it still didn't hurt. Two guards walked up to him and grabbed his wrists, he didn't protest as they put the cuffs on him, he knew he deserved this, being locked away.
"We will take him back to his cell princess, he won't bother you again" guard one said while he was holding Varains shoulder so he couldnt escape. Anyone could see on the boys face there was no anger left, no revenge pulsing through his vains, but instead guilt, and embarrassed that he would want to hurt all these people. Varain starred at his hands, chained together. How did I let this happen, why did I let this happen, theses were the questions he would ask himself all the time when he was locked away, and still had no answer. He was thrown out of his thoughts when he heard Rapunzel shout.
"NO, uncuff him NOW!" Rapunzel demanded her voice full of power, a voice only heard once or twice, the same voice she used when Pascel went missing.
"But Prinses, not to over step but do you not remember what he did, he kidnapped your mom, threated you, stole from the palace, he hurt you"  with each action the second guard said only made Varian feel guilter and weaker. He wanted to disappear, or die, anything to get away from here. He couldn't believe he did all those things, to his friend non the less, that's what anger, desperation,  and fear will do to a person, make you do things you would never normally do.
"Believe me, I know, but he also saved all of you guys. We would have not be able to stop the Sapoians if it wouldn't for Varian's help. So do I need to repeat myself"
"No Prinsess" and the first guard released him of the cuffs.
"Your still a trader in my book, nothing you do will ever fix what you did" the fifteen year old wanted to cry, but didn't want to let the towns people know that they have gotten to him, that he was weak. Rapunzel ran to Varian to give him a huge hug.
"I'm so sorry" she said to him looking into his eyes, she could tell he was fighting back tears.
"No Rapunzel, I'm sorry, I caused you pain, I caused the whole city pain and fear and destroyed old Corona in the process, you have no reason to be sorry". The only ones who seems content with his apology was Xavier, Catalina and Angry of course along with Eugene and Lance. Everyone else rolled their eyes or made some remark.
"Varian I have good news" Rapunzel turned to Varian after watching the towns people go back to their houses. He only looked at her in question, not trusting his voice at the moment.
"I think I know how to free your dad form the amber" Varian has never felt this happy in  his whole life. He also felt a feeling he hasn't felt in such a long time, he couldnt imagine feeling it ever again; hope. He started to loose hope of freeing his dad when he was locked up in the dungeons and when he escaped with the Saporians he lost all hope because why would anyone want to help him after everything he has done. Of course Rapunzel would be the only one who would be willing to help and except his apology.
As they walked to old corona Varian started to get more and more nerves.
"Rapunzel, what if my dad hates me, what if he disowns me, what if-"
"Varian, your dad loves you, and there is nothing you can do that will make him hate you, he may be little mad or disappointed that-"
"No, anything but disapotment, I can't handle that again, I can't live thought that again" Rapunzel was now confused, she always knew that Qurin was proud of his son, so why was Varian acting like he never was. That's when she remembered what he said when they were in the cell.
"Varian, what are you talking about, he has always been proud of you"
"No he hasn't, nothing I have ever done was he proud of, no matter what it was, weather creating a new compound like flinoliuma, or that pink sticky goo. He has always had this sad disappointment look in his eyes. All I ever wished and dreamed was to see the pride in his eyes, that's why I did some of the things I did. I thought if I came back with help he would be proud and when I couldn't, I felt like a failure so I became so determined to make him proud by freeing him form the amber that I lost control of my anger towards you" Rapunzel nodded understanding a little more of what went on thought Varian's head during the whole ordeal. They were half way there when he stopped. He looked down at the dirt and saw it was darker them normal meaning it had rained earlier that day.
"Prinsess, why did you forgive me, and so fast too. I mean I did horrible things to you. The towns people hate me, I went after you and your family"
"I forgave you because I know the real you Varian, the real you is the kid I meet last year. The kid who was funny, bubbly and passionate about alchemy. The kid who was kind and polite, and while going after my family was not the answer, part of it is my fault, I should have visited you right after the storm was over. People told me you were dangerous, but I knew better. You needed me and I never came to see what you needed help with. Plus you were fourteen at the time, so young and so scared. I forgave you, because I saw the Varian that I meet, in fact I saw a more mature Varian. You stood up to all of the Saporians. Now lets keep going and free your dad. Who will be proud and who will still love you even after you tell him about everything, and you don't need to tell him right away" He looked up at his blond friend and smiled. He did not deserve and friend like her, or a friend at all, but here she was. When the two entered his lab flashbacks came to both of them.