chapter 13

Hufflepuff Party Aesthetic

*******************************************

"Are you two really going to stay here?" Violetta directed her question towards our friends who were slumped against the common room sofa.

"Yes, I have history to catch up on," Terence replied, turning a page in their novel.

"As if you haven't read that entire book two times already," she teased.

"A third never hurts."

"Fine, what about you moody?" She glanced over to Adrian who was deep in concentration writing a letter to his mother.

He hadn't been in the best of spirits, especially after he found out that his bedroom back home was getting turned into a personal haberdashery.

"I'm staying too, I've got to craft the perfect note to deter the woman from this ridiculous idea."

"You two are so boring," she rolled her eyes, taking my hand and pulling me out of the common room.

I waved goodbye to them as we made our way into the dim passageway.

It was the usual Friday night, apart from the fact that Violetta had managed to secure an invitation to the Hufflepuff party, courtesy of some girls she was vaguely friendly with.

She'd practically begged me to go with her, insisting she couldn't turn up alone.

I'd attempted to point out that she wouldn't be alone, she had friends there already, but she didn't seem satisfied with my argument.

And so, I'd given in, letting her dress me up in one of the skin-tight garments from her wardrobe.

After another ten-minute debate, I'd even allowed her to make me up like a gothic barbie doll, my raven black hair now curled so it hit just above my shoulders in loose waves, accompanied by rich eyeshadows to match my outfit.

I felt slightly awkward about the notion of a party, not because I didn't want to go. In fact, I was excited by the prospect, but I'd never attended one like it.

Not having friends my own age for the last 17 years had ensured that these types of activities were avoided, replaced only by the annual formal Ministry dinner.

But as we made our way through the eerie courtyard, passing the gate to the gardens that reached the outside of the greenhouses, my excitement grew.