chapter 51

Sunday rolled around like a calm breeze.

The hours of Saturday had floated by between Draco, revising with Violetta, and Draco again.

We'd spent most of the previous evening in peaceful silence, naked and wrapped up in the sheets of his bed, occasionally sharing sweet kisses.

It had been the second time we'd really slept together, our forms curled against one another as I laid my head upon his chest, eventually falling into a peaceful slumber.

After being apart for so many weeks it made a nice change, to simply exist in close proximity. It was comforting, locked away from the pressures of the world.

I'd only emerged earlier this morning, readying myself for the day ahead as Violetta, Terence, Adrian and I had made plans to visit Hogsmeade.

Draco hadn't been keen on the idea of me spending the day away from him, let alone in Adrian's presence, but I curved the argument by confirming that I would return to him in the evening, determined not to let him dictate my friendships.

And that's how I found myself standing in Spintwitches, hovering behind Violetta as she debated between different types of broom varnish.

She picked one tin off the shelf, its exterior a deep mahogany.

"How about this colour?"

"It's pretty dark, I thought your broom handle was ash-wood?"

"It was, until I forgot to revarnish it for three months, it's practically worn down to the core," she frowned, placing the can back onto the shelf.

"Perhaps you should get one of the stronger concoctions," I picked up a tin of Lyptus, offering it to her, "how about this?"

She took it, muttering to herself as she read the label on the back before nodding in satisfaction.

"This will do, I want to look at their new array of twigs whilst we're here."

I nodded, following her through the aisles until we reached the one with a large sign above it, reading New Arrivals.

We came to a stop in front of the variety of twigs, the options ranging in colour, length and pliability.

She picked a cluster off the shelf, her face pulled in concentration as she inspected their quality.

"Do you know what you're looking for?"

"Hmm, nothing particular, but mine are getting worn, the balance is off when I fly."

"Is there anything right with your broom?" I teased.

"It's loyal, and reliable," she grinned, clearly proud of the device.

"Maybe you should just buy a new one," I offered, knowing full well she could afford twenty new brooms with her monthly allowance.

"I want to wait until Spring, the next Nimbus is due to be released."

I nodded in understanding, waiting patiently as she looked through the twig options, finally settling on long black ones, their ends filed to a sharp point for aerodynamic advantage.

We headed towards the till, placing the stuff down as the cashier began to input the items into the machine.

Violetta pulled her purse from the bag she was carrying, glancing over at me.

"By the way, where were you last night? I went to your dorm but Daphne had no idea."

I felt a heat rise in my cheeks as I recalled how I'd spent my evening.