chapter 33

Three heavy knocks reverberated at my door, causing the nerves in my ears to prick up.

"Come in," I called, looking away from the fireplace and turning to find Violetta entering my room, a nervous expression upon her face.

"Hey."

"Oh, hi," I murmured, pulling the blanket tighter around my form.

"I thought I'd come talk to you before I went to bed, is that alright?"

"Sure, come sit," I offered, indicating the spare place beside me on the sofa.

She wandered over, sinking against the soft leather of the chair in trepidation.

"So... what's up?"

"Nothing really, I just wanted to check on you after... dinner."

"Ah, I see," I nodded, still reeling slightly from the experience of the evening.

It hadn't become any less awkward as the meal went on, the periodic silence between all members of the table growing louder, only interrupted occasionally by Narcissa's attempts to make polite conversation.

Overall, it had been painful.

After my realisations about Draco had truly sunk in, I'd felt uncomfortable even to be sitting next to him, relieved once we'd been dismissed from the table and I could return to my room in peace.

"I know what you're thinking," Violetta murmured.

"What do you mean?" I replied, trying to remain neutral.

I particularly didn't want to give my unfriendly feelings about Lucius away, he was the girl's father after all.

"You don't have to pretend. I saw your face."

"Was it that bad?" I cringed.

"It wasn't subtle, although who could blame you."

I sighed, shifting in the chair and turning to face her properly, "I just don't understand. I mean... do you... feel the same? As your father?"

"About muggle-borns?"

"Yes, exactly."

"No not at all, and neither does mother."

I frowned, my headache beginning to return, "then how can you stand it?"

"Because we have to I suppose," she grimaced, "I know it's not a valid excuse, but father isn't the type to be argued with, especially not when it comes to blood purity."

"I can imagine that well enough," I mumbled, recalling the way he'd spat the slur out so hatefully, entirely vehement.

Violetta squirmed against the seat in response, clearly tormented by the circumstance of her relations.

"And Narcissa," I continued in disbelief, "how can she cope with it, doesn't she wish to leave him when he says such things?

The witch shook her head, "she loves him too much, that's why she excuses it, that's why she stays. She's always been blind when it comes to my father."

"I guess that's what happens when you're in love, you forgive things even when you shouldn't," I sighed, exhausted at the thought.

She nodded in agreement, her tone gentle, "what a terrible affliction."

"Yes, isn't it?" I smiled sadly, a flicker of sympathy for the kindness and naivety of the older witch.

After a moment of silence, I continued, still anxious to understand the full picture of their family.