chapter 29

I lingered in the doorway of the infirmary, taking in the sight of the multiple rows of empty white beds.

Only the one farthest away was occupied, Adrian laying in it, his eyes screwed shut, deep purple bruising scattered across his face despite Pomfrey's efforts.

I'd told the others that I would check on him first, not wanting to overwhelm the boy with visitors incase he was in too much pain.

Before I could move closer, Pomfrey swooped out of a side door, walking briskly towards the doorway I was standing in.

She gave me a look of surprise as she saw me hovering there, her white shoes coming to a stop with a click.

"Alright dear, I guess you're here to see the invalid?"

"Yes, if that's alright."

"Perfectly fine, don't stay too long though, he'll need rest this evening," she instructed in an authoritative manner.

I nodded in reply, waiting until she'd swanned out of the room, before beginning to walk down the aisle.

Adrian's eyes snapped open upon my approach, his gaze turning on me as I reached his bedside.

I glanced over at the empty chair nearby, uncertain and awkward.

"Can I sit?"

"Of course," he tried to smile, but quickly winced, seeming to think better of it, the harsh splits along his lip threatening to reopen.

I pretended not to notice as I placed myself down on the seat, perching on the edge precociously.

I appraised his face for a moment, my eyes passing over the thick welts and small cuts across his cheek.

His left eye had swollen badly, the bruising already beginning to process through different shades of purple and yellow.

It was scary to see the damage Draco had done in such a short time, Adrian's handsome face now nothing more than a punching bag.

"That bad huh?"

I bit my lip, trying to keep my expression composed, "it's not good."

He sighed, looking up at the white ceiling.

"Pomfrey said she did everything possible. Apparently the bruising will come down in a few days with some Lenire draught"

"Does it hurt terribly?"

"Not as much anymore, she drugged me up pretty well."

I nodded, running a finger over a fray in my jeans, "Adrian, what happened out there?"

"Nothing. It was stupid."

I glanced up, reaching out my hand and sliding it into his.

He looked down at the gesture, something hopeful and innocent flickering across his face.

"Tell me, please?"

"I just... said something I shouldn't have."

"What could have inspired that kind of reaction in him?" I pressed, "there must have been something awful exchanged between you two."

"He was the prick who knocked me from my broom."

"I know but I don't think he meant to... it was chaos out there."

"Even so, he should've been paying attention," he muttered, twisting a fraction against the white mattress.

"Well whatever you guys argued about, it cost you the entire match," I reminded, thinking about Hooch's disqualification, the way it had meant an automatic win for Gryffindor, their first finale victory in years.