chapter 35

The Malfoy's Winter Ball Aesthetic

*******************************************

"Tom will be all over you," I smiled at Violetta as she checked herself out in the mirror, the silk of her kaitoke-coloured gown shimmering under the lights.

"He better be," she smirked, glancing to where I was sat at her dressing table, one of the house elves attending to my hair.

It was finally Christmas night; the day had passed by in amiable peace as the household had spent most of it in the living room, minus Lucius who apparently had no interest in dealing with the celebration.

Meanwhile, the five of us had relished within it, particularly Narcissa and Violetta who had eagerly handed out gifts before we were called to the afternoon meal.

So far, it was certainly one of the better Christmases that I'd had, a glimpse into what it would be like to have a traditional family who engaged in such things.

There was a brisk snap as another elf appeared in the room, her bat-like ears bobbing as she shifted nervously on her feet.

"Pibmy, aren't you meant to be helping down in the ballroom?"

"Master Lucius has instructed me to collect ya miss, the guests are arrivin'. He insists ya come and help greet 'em with the rest of the family."

"Very well," Violetta sighed, checking her hair one final time before approaching the door.

"I'll see you later," she addressed me, disappearing from the room.

I turned my attention back to the vanity mirror I was seated in front of, watching as the elf curled my hair into soft waves.

"Will you have to work the party after this?" I enquired, meeting their big blue eyes in the mirror for a second.

"Yes miss, I will be in the kitchens to help prepare the drinks."

"Do you know how many guests have been invited?" I questioned, trying to ignore the nervous twist in my stomach at the thought of the company waiting below.

"About 100 miss, a lot are friends of the family too."

I nodded in understanding, my thoughts drifting to Draco for a moment.

We hadn't properly had a chance to speak in the three days we'd been at the manor, only seeing one another during mealtimes.