chapter 30

I tied my lace as tight as possible, inspecting the black skates on my feet for a moment to ensure that they were properly attached.

"Hurry up slowpoke!"

I glanced up at Violetta, her slender form already busy twirling around the icy surface of the black lake.

She was a natural at it, just as she seemed to be with everything, performing complicated spins and sliding over the surface as if she did it every day, whizzing past Terence and Adrian as they attempted to support one another's weight.

I grinned to myself and stood up, walking carefully across the snowy bank until I reached the edge.

She came to a stop beside me, offering a gloved hand for support.

I took it gratefully, trying to remain upright as she began to drag me along.

"Bend your legs, you're too stiff."

"What if I fall?" I wobbled as I said it, my words almost ringing true.

She laughed sweetly, "you'll be fine, bend them Bambi."

I rolled my eyes but did as she instructed, relaxing a fraction as it seemed to help me glide a little more smoothly.

There was a loud thud from across the lake and we looked over to see Adrian splayed out like a starfish, a displeased look upon his face.

He sat up, scrambling to get back on his feet as Terence bent over with laughter.

"You're gonna regret that Higgs!"

"You'll have to catch me first," they grinned, slowly skating away from Adrian's grasp.

"Idiots," Violetta tutted, turning her attention back to me as she let go of my hand gently.

"I'll be back."

"Don't leave m-" I yelled after her, trying to stay upright as my legs threatened to give way without her assistance.

She drifted over to Adrian, offering him an arm as she helped hoist him back onto his blades, ensuring he was steady again.

A few other students zoomed past me as I watched, their hands linked in a line.

With only a week left until we broke up for the winter break, most of our time had been spent having snowball fights around the grounds as classes gradually wound down.

The lake had finally frozen over, an occurrence which apparently only remained for two weeks during the coldest point of December.

Violetta had begged us to join her at breakfast, insisting it would be really fun, but as I looked down at my skates, I wasn't entirely sure about the concept.

"Fancy a race?" Terence glided over to me, chips of ice skimming around from the impact of their blades.

"Does it look like I could manage a race? I can't even make it two metres."

They shrugged, "I'll give you a head start?"

"Piss off."

They laughed, dodging out of my arm span as I tried to push them over in revenge.

Violetta returned before I could do any damage, taking my hand and attempting to pull me around the rink again.

Her determination wasn't particularly successful, but 20 minutes later I was at least able to push myself a little distance along.

Once she lapped me for the third time, she slowed down again, syncing with my pace.

"I meant to ask, what are your plans for Christmas break? Do you know?"