chapter 42

A week later, we'd settled back into the lull of school, as if we had never been away.

Everything returned to the usual monotony of a daily routine, mealtimes and classes and homework, our free time filled occasionally by new entertainment that Adrian had learnt from his cousins over Christmas.

After the excitement of reuniting had died down, time seemed to plod along with little relief or variety to keep things interesting.

I tried to ignore the small part of my brain that believed the boredom was caused by Draco's absence, pushing the notion to the darkest pit of mind.

But it was hard to deny the facts entirely; my days simply felt longer without the possibility of his presence, or any additional affections he used to bestow.

The worst part of it was realising that, even in spite of better judgement, I'd grown accustomed to the boy, to having him around.

I despised myself for it, I felt foolish for having fallen into a comfortable pattern where I yearned for his proximity, awaited it.

And most of all, it was frustrating to acknowledge that despite the degradation of our last interaction, part of me still cared.

Externally I refused to show any inkling of such a notion, instead, avoiding looking his way, as if he no longer existed within the same space.

It was a choice decided upon particularly because it would have only been painful to meet his gaze after everything, but also because I wasn't prepared to see how he would regard me in return.

Indifferent, distant, detached.
All three at once.

I sighed quietly at the thought, my eyes scanning the letter again as I walked towards the great hall, reading every word of Kingsley's familiar clean handwriting to see if there was anything additional to be inferred.

Seraphina,

I'm glad to hear your winter break was satisfactory, although I was surprised to learn that you spent it at the Malfoy estate.

Things in Malaysia remain just the same.

Our mission is taking longer than we'd expected, we are calling in more of the department to assist. I'm sure it will take another 4 months at least.

I wish you another hard-working term at Hogwarts, no doubt it'll be more intense as you prepare for those upcoming exams.

I'll write again when I can.
Be good.

K.S

The note appeared to be as mediocre as usual, not much written upon the parchment that held significant interest.

I had to give it to the wizard, he knew how to write particularly dull letters compared to what other students received from home.

It almost made me envy Terence and the frequent mail they got from their overbearing uncle.

I began making my way down the aisle to our lunch spot, attempting to fold the message back into its envelope, when someone grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

My eyes followed the slender hand, finding Pansy sitting alone at her place upon the bench, staring up at me.

"Sit," she urged, indicating the empty space next to her.

"What? I have to-" I gestured up the hall to where the sixth years sat, but she ignored my protest, pulling me down impatiently.

"What's going on with you and Draco?" She demanded, cutting to the chase.