chapter 55

"Seraphina, Seraphina," a distant voice whispered, hands gripping my shoulders and shaking me gently.

I groaned, tightening my eyes against the harsh light that seemed to be spilling obnoxiously through my eyelids.

"Wake up," the voice asked again, their tone pleading.

My eyes opened a fraction, the bright bulb overhead flooding against my retinas, too dazzling.

I looked around, my vision slowly coming into focus as I noticed Violetta hovering next to me for the first time.

Her face relaxed once my eyes met hers, relief spreading through her pretty features.

"Good, you're awake."

"Wh- where are we?" I groaned as I shifted, a dull pain shooting up my spine.

"The Ministry dungeons," she took my hand, helping me rise to a sitting position.

I squinted, trying to adjust to the environment as I absorbed my surroundings.

It was one of the larger cells, the room stretching wide in all directions, only lit by the occasional exposed bulb, windowless.

There were huddles of people dotted around the space, grouped into their families as they sat on the dusty ground, muttering amongst themselves.

I tried to contain my shock as I took in the faces of children, some of them not even the age of infants yet.

It was just as Draco had thought; a holding cell for relatives, every person connected to someone on the levels above.

"How long have you been here?" I met Violetta's gaze, her eyes tense and exhausted.

"I'm not sure, maybe a day."

"A day?" I asked, incredulous that we'd already been in this predicament for that long.

"Yes, as far as we can guess. Where were you, before you got caught?"

I strained for the correct answer, my brain feeling like thick treacle as the sleeping charm continued to wear off.

"The Minister's office, I was trying to send for help," I admitted, disappointment in my tone as I realised that I'd failed miserably.

"And Draco? Did you find him?"

"Yes, we came together, but..."

"He's on their side," she finished, sadness laced into her voice.

"Unfortunately. Is your mother here?"

"Over there," she pointed towards a huddle of small children, one of them perched on Narcissa's lap as she braided their hair, chatting softly to the group.

"I can't believe this has happened to you guys, I mean you're their family."

"It seems there is no line they aren't willing to cross, father put us in here himself, said it was for our own safety."

"Lucius did that?" I replied in shock.

"Yes... mother is devastated."

"I don't blame her," I whispered, eyeing the witch.

She looked aged since I'd last seen her, as if it had been years, rather than months.

Her usually impeccable appearance had gone, replaced by long strands of hair escaping from her up-do, the regal dress covered in a thick layer of dust.

I turned my attention back to Violetta, eyeing her carefully for damage.

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you?"