chapter 43

Gryffindor Party Aesthetic

*******************************************

The next night, we stepped through the open common room door, entering into the Gryffindor event with curious glances.

It was immediately obvious how much busier it was than Slytherin parties, every nook and cranny of the circular room filled with students.

I guessed that the difference was mainly due to the exclusivity of our house, the invite was rarely extended to others, whereas the Gryffindors seemed to have an open policy with theirs.

I followed Terence through the crowd, my eyes glancing up at the ceiling where a flurry of red balloons sat amongst dim spotlights.

The intensity of their house colours was almost overwhelming, the gold and scarlet tones a bold contrast to the muteness of the silver and green I'd grown accustomed to.

It was in everything around us, the shades varying across the furniture, wallpaper and carpet, cohesively giving the room a cosy feel, along with the mixed textiles of cushions and upholstery.

The other thing that was immediately obvious was the change in scent.

The smell of weed was significantly more potent than at our parties, where most of the house members tended to opt for hallucinogenics and a concoction of pills.

I tried to breathe through my mouth as we slipped past the bodies, careful not to trip over any of the entangled pairs in our way.

We soon spotted Theo and Cedric kissing near the drinks table, making our way closer as we exchanged hesitant glances.

Once we reached the two boys, I cleared my throat loudly over the music, waiting patiently for them to detach from one another's mouths.

Theo grinned when he saw me, throwing a lazy arm over my shoulder in an affectionate manner.

"You came!"

"Of course," I laughed, holding his weight to prevent him from stumbling, "you seem..."

"Fucked?"

I nodded in agreement.

"In all honesty I'm absolutely trollied," he drawled, accepting the drink Terence had tried to offer to me.

They rolled their eyes, pouring another into a red cup and making sure I took it this time.

Violetta began chatting with Cedric whilst all of us drank, their conversation muffled over the thumping bass.

"How long have you been here?" I asked my belligerent companion, relishing the burning taste of firewhisky on my tongue.

He shrugged carelessly, causing some of the dark liquid to spill over the plastic rim, "I don't know, an hour or two."