Chapter 15: Nowhere To Go

A low rumble disturbed me from my concentration. I'd been reaching out through the bars, hand on the control pad for my cell, trying to get it to open. There was a distant sound of tie-fighters and clone-convoy ships.

"Damn it." I mumbled, closing my eyes and focused on using the force. This was the only chance to escape and get out. "Come on..."

Something clicked and spark, causing me to step back as the door disengaged, raising about halfway before shutting down. I ducked under it and walked out. Stretching, I looked down at the valley where the small village was, and saw a couple of clone ships touching down. 

Running down the paths that led into the village, I could see multitudes of scared villagers, ducking and running from gunfire. A few not-so-lucky ones were on the ground. Keeping a quick walking pace, I walked past a few of the troopers who paid me no mind, that was until one wearing a red patch on his shoulder acknowledged me. Except, it wasn't in the way that I had anticipated.

"Twelfth Sister." He pointed his blaster straight at me.

I glared. "What are you doing, soldier."

"Orders from on high. The boss want's you gone, because you have failed him yet again to get rid of the Jedi you've been hunting."

The cry of surprise drew my attention back to the chaos that was ensuing. Security drones were having a two versus one with Cal, and Cal was losing. He was laying in the middle of the dirt road at the center of town, rolling onto his side. He must have been blown back from a hit. I began to take steps back away from the trooper as other's joined him, at least a dozen were beginning to line up, guns all aimed at me. Weaponless, I raised my hands, reaching out with the force as I sensed who was going to fire.

Something bumped back into me, making me stumble a step forward. It had been Cal, who had probably been in the middle of guarded retrieval as well to get distance between his foes.

"It appears we've both been screwed." I state lightheartedly. "Perhaps a temporary truce to get rid of the enemy. What happens after can be determined."

Cal agreed. "I can take care of the troopers, do you have your lightsaber?"

"I don't need that measly thing."

Without a word, we both switched spots and charged forward. I pushed back back one security droid with the force, and raised a hand at the second, slowly, closing my first. The droid sparked and jerked, breaking down into wires and twisted metal. I did the same with the second, and went to help Cal afterwards.

The two of us stood at at the edge of the aftermath, trooper transports, as well as the soldier's bodies littered the streets. Petrified citizens, as well as some rebels were running back and forth, trying to fix some of the damage. We stood facing one another, covered in grim and both exhausted. Cal still had his light-saber withdrawn between them but it was hanging limply in his grasp. He stared at me with a semi-wary gaze.

"I uh..."-Cal shifted his weight to one foot- "I didn't know you were capable of that, Y/n."

"Of what?" I reached up, taking off my mask that had been ruined during the fight. Fresh but dusty air filled my lungs. Rubbing my face, the tips of my fingers lingered over the long, gruesome scar before I dropped my hand to my side. I flicked the mask away, no longer really wanting or needing it. 

"Not having to use a light-saber to fight."

"Light-sabers are merely tools for combat. No one necessarily needs to use them in order to win over their opponent even if they do come in handy." I replied.

"The other inquisitors I came across-"

"They were fighting Jedi. Did it look like I needed one to kill mindless troopers?"

The question was left hanging there as other matters distracted us from the beginnings of an argument.

                                                                           ********

I sat outside the base on a small shipping box, hands in restraining cuffs once more with blaster or two pointed directly at my head. Cal was having a meeting with several others about what they were wanting to do with me. 

Sighing, I leaned forward, elbows resting on knees. There was nowhere I could go, and the Empire would be the last place that would accept me back with an outstretched hand. It was now impossible to leave this planet, and if I'd managed to steal an X-wing, I'd have no idea where to go. I'd helped Cal fight against my own people, whether I'd wanted to or not. It was selfish in my opinion. I'd only done it to save my hide. Even if Cal and the others figured out what to do with me, there were only two plausible options; lock me up again, or have me executed. Quite a few citizen's had seen my violent, inhumane fighting style. There would be no way they'd let me live after that. On the contrary, I'd put up a fight, seeing as it wasn't time for me to punch out just yet.

A ball rolled into my vision, bouncing off the tip of my left boot. 

"You kids are too close, get back!" Ordered one of the soldiers. I lifted my gaze seeing about five to six kids standing nearby, all looking at me as well as the ball that was now inches from my toes. Using the force, I shoved the ball back at them, watching it sail through the air, hitting the ground near their feet. One of them made eye contact with me and I smirked before looking away. 

Staying in the same spot for another two hours, it was growing dark by the time I heard the metal doors creak open to our right. 

Cal approached, before kneeling at my feet and removing the cuffs. I watched him do it with a raised eyebrow.

"So? What have you decided to do with me?" I looked up from my hands to his face, seeing his expression. "Why are you staring at me like that?"