Chapter 55: Harmony of Self

"What in the floating hell..." I observed, looking out over a cliff's edge at a grouping of white, domed buildings that were hovering hundreds of feet above a lush and flat landscape. "Looks to be like old tech again from the High Republic Era. Is Dagan up there?"

Cal ducked as a Bedlam Raiders ship zipped past that had been too close for comfort, followed by a TIE-Fighter right on it's tail. "Looks like it, the Forest Array is on and if Dagan has the compass, he could be gone long before we get there, so we better hurry."

I pushed back the loose strands of hair that had blown out of their hold from the wind, following him as we took some weird flying creatures to glide close enough to the structure to get on it. Bode had contacted us over comms as we neared our destination, meeting up with us as we ascended the floors in pursuit of Dagan. 

"Most of the troopers and the Raiders have disappeared." I stated as we ran up a curved floor. 

"Stormtroopers must have underestimated Dagan and his followers numbers," Bode mulled.

"Troopers are most effective in numbers, if out gunned so to speak then they don't last very long. It's why the Empire probably makes so many." I explained to him.

"How do you know that?"

"Simple logistics. Mass numbers create fear, as does the name of those who lead and create them. In Dagan's case, he promotes promises and intense leadership. People like the Bedlam Raiders who crave power and status are drawn to that sort of thing. However, many join under a leadership out of fear of being victims themselves and would rather go against their own beliefs to save their own skins," I glanced at Bode with a sad smile who was jogging along with me to my right. 

"That's what happened to you, right?" He asked.

This was a very similar conversation that Bode and I had when we first met. "Yes it was. But I finally found an escape after struggling to figure what side I belonged to."

 "Did you ever regret it?" There was something off in his voice, but I played it off as just nerves.

"A little, it changed me and not necessarily for the better. I'm still struggling to accept the new me to me."

Bode let out a small chuckle. "Kinda sounds like me. I have a daughter, and I've tried to do my best but I feel like I've been a mess of a father."

"No one's perfect. Jedi are separated from their birth parents at an extremely young age, so I grew up with many father and mother figures throughout the years. One in particular was extremely hard on me. I'm sure your daughter is proud of you for doing what you're trying to do for her."

Catching up with Cal, who'd run a little ahead of us, we got to the Observation deck with one more room to go. 

"You ready for this?" Cal asked me, giving my hand a quick, comforting squeeze. 

I gave a nod. "Yeah."

Watching him give Bode a pat on the back we walked over to what was labeled the Grand Oculus, we entered. The ceiling of the room glowed an eerie pinkish hue, reflecting off the floor. Control panels were circling the edges of the room, all lit up and making noise that reminded me of the operations bridge of Vader's star destroyer. Yet, there was one person in the room instead of the dozen I was expecting. Dagan stood at the opposite end of the room, looking at a holo message of what I only could assume was Santari Khri. I'd never seen her face, but I recognized her voice in the messages Cal found. She was expressing to Dagan to go to Tanalorr, or find her and the decision was up to him.

"Guess he got that a little too late." Bode stated, loud enough for Dagan to hear. 

Dagan slammed a fist on the holo projector, cutting off the message and picked up the compass. "If she had stood with me, we could have convinced them that Tanalorr was worth, but now everything is gone. Santary, the Order, Rayvis are all gone and I am finally free."