Chapter 16: Old Life

Gritting my teeth, I pushed up with my hands which had begun to shake. The weight of the trooper transport ship was incredibly heavy. Using the force was the most effective and easy way, although it was difficult. The shrapnel was crushing a house, as well as a pile of equipment and shipping. Metal groaned and screeched as it was lifted into the air and rotated off the building and supplies. It dropped slowly to the ground, dirt flinging into the air from the impact. 

I took a few gulps of water from a mug I'd set aside on a wood stump. The day was unusually hot and bright, but I wasn't about to show my discomfort whilst still dressed in my black undershirt and pants. Sitting down on the ground with my back resting against the stump, taking a small break. 

Cal and the others decided that they wouldn't kill me, but put me to good use as a sort of punishment. Doing good deeds by cleaning up the mess I'd more-or-less created. Since I couldn't leave this place, and I was now wanted by the Empire, I had no other choice but to remain here. It didn't sit well with most of the villagers, or the rebels who had averred this as their base. Letting an Inquisitor live near them.

I looked up when I felt eyes on me, seeing people stare at me as they passed. Part of me wanted to knock them on their feet, but that would have me sent back into that dark, isolated cell. So, being a good little cooperator, I did nothing. Perhaps soon I'd be able to steal a ship and get the hell out of here, as was the original plan. 

I set my empty mug behind me on the stump, leaning my head back against the wood as I closed my eyes. A light pressure on my leg made me jolt and my head snapped up, seeing Gael, who was kneading his two front paws on my pants, purring softly. I pulled off my gloves, giving the feline a good scratch behind the ear. Using my other hand, I picked up a small stone with the force, waving it in front of his face. Gael became hyper-focused, and started stalking it as I moved it around on the ground, then had him chase it and pounce on it. A smile itched the corner of my mouth as I watched him. He got bored of the game long after I did and sat in the shade of the stump, closing his beady eyes.

"Hey, Y/n..."

A huff left my lips as I focused on an approaching Greez. Could I never have a moment to myself anymore?

"What do you want?" I stated crisply.

The four-armed male looked incredibly overwrought being within a couple meters of me.

"I, uh, well I...I mean Khosuh wants your help. He need's an extra pair of hands with mechanical stuff. He's just that way." Greez pointed toward a house with a larger portion built off the side of it, smoke rising from the chimney.

Standing, I pocketed my gloves, raising an eyebrow at him. "Was he really asking you, or did you put me in your place?"

Greez looked caught, letting it be known with a nervous chuckle. "I'm not that savvy with machinery, so I put you up for it. You did say you were good with that kind of right?"

"And what makes you think I can be passed around like some work-dog..."

The gambler's fight-or-flight was clearly visible, but he just waved me toward the workshop before speed-walking away.

The workshop looked well-organized, parts and tools all placed within reach and separated by size, color, and substance. Heat radiated from within, mixing with the already hot, dry air outside.

Sparks flew off of a workbench in a dark corner, spattering the dirt ground and my boots. A hulking figure was leaned over it, messing with what looked to be part of a power-surge vent from an X-wing.

I cleared my throat, inclining this Khosuh character to look in my direction. 

A voice with a tone of a low, throaty engine sounded from the activity I was observing. "Where is Greez?"

"He's not fit to mess with machinery, and asked me to come here despite my uninclined resolve." I replied, folding my arms.

The shadowy figure let out a noise between his teeth before setting his tools down, and moving forward into the light. I had to look up, seeing as he was at least two and a half feet taller than me. The person was a tall feline with, a little buffer than Kohan, with a mahogany-colored coat. He was young, not having the white around his eyes and nose.

Khosuh reached up, taking off his safety goggles. Green eyes gazing down at me with a resolute sobriety.

"Oh, it's you. The Twelfth Sister, is that right?"

A spark of irritation hit me with the mention of that name, but I shoved the feeling aside. "What's it to you? Do you need my help or not? It's clear that you do, seeing is that section of the vent shouldn't have been soldered together."

Khosuh hmphed. "Cal told me you used to be a scrapper, just like him.."

A memory of my beloved, but probably destroyed ship came to my mind and I blinked. "Yeah, I did. Did he just spill out my life story to you too?"

"He spoke very highly of you while we were all counseling what to do with you. If anything, he made you sound like a good Jedi, but your wrap sheet is still stained red." With that, Khosuh turned, motioning for me to follow him to the work bench to help him fix his mistake.

                                                                       ********

Over the course of the next fortnight, I was assigned to help him in building and repairs, as well as advancing some tech for the already equipped X-wings that the rebels. Having not been around this environment for so long, it took a while for my stride to come back. I'd grown oddly comfortable sitting over a workbench fixing things. Sometimes, I'd find myself lost in my work, and it brought back memories of my old life.

"Y/n, hand me that tool box would you?"

I looked over seeing the tool box he was pointing at was just at the end of the long table. "Can't you get it yourself?"

He kept pointing, causing me to scoff and slide off my stool. I grabbed the tool, sliding off the counter, and knocked quite a few things off the table in the process before dropping it with a loud thud right in front of him, rattling metal parts on the table.

Khosuh glowered. "Pick all that up."

I did as I was told, grabbing stuff off the ground and tossing it back on the table. The last object was a small metal holographic recording stick. I glanced at Khosuh, who was fully focused again on his work. Out of curiosity, I plugged it into the rusty astromech droid that the mechanic kept in his shop. 

A tall feline image appeared and began to speak. Khosuh looked up from his work with an annoyed "What the hell are you doing?" leaving his lips. I didn't acknowledge him, staring at the figure. 

'...I'm sorry, little brother, I've been stuck on Lotho-Minor for many months making a living for myself, seeing that being active in the field of transporting goods anymore. I'll send this with a friend, knowing he'll be headed your way. I hope everything is good on your end, I'll be making my way out to you in a few months once I get a chance. Don't do anything I wouldn't do, alright? Talk to ya soon...' Kohan's fuzzy image waved, giving a mock salute before cutting off the message.

An icy feeling began to grow in the pit of my stomach and spread through the rest of my body. I glanced at Khosuh, who was staring at where Kohan had apparated. "Who was that?"

Khosuh got up from his spot, plucking the message stick from the droid and placed it gently back on the table.

"My older brother. He was supposed to be here two months ago. I don't know what the hell he's doing back on Lotho-Minor. The busy old coot probably forgot he sent the message."

Nothing but guilt pressed down on my shoulders as I took a seat back down on the stool, grabbing my tool and the clump of wires and metal I was working with, staring at them forcefully. "Space is crawling with the Empire. Perhaps he hasn't had a chance."

I peaked up at him, and regretted it when I saw Khosuh was trying to hide the look of morose disappointment on his features. He wordlessly went and sat back down across from me at the table and went back to work.