Chapter 49: Exemption

~ 1 Year Later ~

"I cannot believe you. I'm a droid, not a nurse."

I flinched,  resting my forehead on my knees as I grit my teeth. "I'm not invincible."

"And you thought using a speed-bike through rocky terrain was a good idea-"

Raising my head, I turned to glare at him. "It wasn't my brightest idea, I had two seconds to make that decision." 

Zane didn't reply, but continued to work on the rock-made rash across my shoulders. I went back to resting my head, closing my eyes while my mind drifted. Over the last year, Vader had given Tarkin almost complete control over my duties, Vader having found another apprentice to train. I had never wanted to become his apprentice in the first place, and had made it very clear that I preferred the job given to me by him and Tarkin along with my freedom to do what I pleased when I wasn't working. Even then, Tarkin had a pretty tight leash on my freedom, and I only was allowed to go and do what benefitted the building of DS-1. I'd ended up working alongside multiple men, including one peculiar man named Galen Erso. 

Although, having not spent much time with him, I could tell that he didn't want to be there anymore than I did, which meant he was forced, but he did his job incredibly well. So well in fact, that there was little to no space for me once I handed him the blue prints. The only time he'd ever questioned my blue print was when he pointed to a thermal exhaust port on the outside of the Death Star, asking me why it was where it was.

My response had been simple yet true. "That was the only way the main reactor can truly work, and what get's the DS-1 working. Without it, it becomes a thermal detonator. I'm quite certain that Emperor Palpatine wouldn't be to happy with me, you, or anyone who messed it up." The last thing I wanted was to end as floating trash in space, and this was not going to be on me. 

I felt something wet mist across my back and the pain began to fade. 

"All done, Y/N."

Standing, I pulled the back of my shirt down, flexing my shoulders and rotated my spine. It was still incredibly sore, the pain not yet dissipated. "Thanks Z. I appreciate it, even if you aren't a nurse droid."

Zane let out a short huff of a laugh, taking the medical things back to the bag and stowing it underneath the holotable in my workspace. Him and I found ourselves back on Mustafar for the time being, Tarkin still retaining that leash but didn't need me for the time being. Vader didn't seem to care for my temporary stay, having not seen him since my arrival back on the planet which was when he usually showed himself or asked for me as soon as I'd landed. I walked down the boarding ramp of my ship into the docking bay. 

Sitting down, I was just about to pull off my boots and rub my sore feet, but a voice stopped me before I could lift a foot off the ground.

"Stas."

The heavy resistance to not roll my eyes failed me, and I turned around with an expectant look on my face at my master, casually leaning an arm over the crate behind the one I'd been sitting on. Never a moments peace, I thought sourly.

"What is it, Master?"

He didn't seem at all phased with my nonchalant attitude nowadays, having dealt with it for a long while. I had never given him a lack of respect, nor was I afraid of him after having a long time to get to know him after watching for a while. He respected me back for it, and accepted my behavior knowing I would always do what he asked. 

"I need you to be my eyes for me on Jedha."

I raised an eyebrow, now fully interested in the conversation. Jedha was a planet the Empire used to mine Kyber Crystal. Standing, I was careful not to show how much pain I was in as I turned to face him, wishing heavily to soak in a Bacta tank at the moment.