Chapter 12

Atalante lowered her bow, watching her arrows disappear into the sky

Atalante lowered her bow, watching her arrows disappear into the sky. The clouds split apart as an array of colors split them, raining down on the forest. She sighed, feeling her spirit origin fading, a golden aura seeping from her body.

"Sorry, Ryan," she smiled sadly as she watched the last of her arrows land. "This could have been avoided if we had made a contract, but that might have proved to be too much for you." She let go of her bow, letting it fall and disappear into golden sparks. She lowered herself into a sitting position on the branch, closing her eyes as she listened. She smiled. "Looks like it went just fine. Shame I didn't manage to kill Lancer for you."

"Don't worry," she spoke softly, even though Ryan couldn't hear her. "If push comes to shove, I'm sure Jason's call will get my attention once more. He'd better do a good job protecting you in the meantime. But I'm sure..." She flicked her ears once more before the last of her faded away.

...

"STOP!"

Both servants stopped inches from one another. Archer's bear claws were pressed right up against Saber's throat, while Saber's golden sword was settled against Archer's side.

Ryan looked at the redheaded Master of Archer, who looked confused, as if she didn't know exactly why she had stopped her servant. "To tell the truth," Ryan thought. "I don't know exactly why I ordered Saber and Atalante to help them."

Clearing his throat, he nodded to Saber. "Stand down."

"You too, Archer," the girl said. She looked at Ryan. "I guess... thank you."

Ryan blushed. "Y-yeah, no problem."

She closed her fist, extinguishing the flames in her palm. "That's twice I owe you my life."

"Master," Archer turned his gaze on her, but kept his claws pressed against Saber's throat. "We may have failed to kill Lancer, but I can easily finish off these two."

"Just you try," Saber glared at him as he gripped his sword's hilt tighter. "I'll cut you down where you stand before you lay a hand on my Master."

Archer flexed the claws. "You don't have your Archer anymore. Don't make threats you can't back up, Jason."

Ryan glanced swiftly at the girl. She must've heard Saber's name back when he had summoned him and told her Archer.

"Why wouldn't she?" Ryan thought. "We are her enemies. And the more info she has the better off she is in the war. Anyway, it's my fault she became a Master." He looked at Saber. "Lower your sword."

Saber sighed and moved his sword away and held up both arms. "Fine, fine."

Archer narrowed his eyes, his hands twitching.

"Archer," his Master said, an edge to her voice.

He growled and stepped back reluctantly. His bear paws moved until they were draped over his back, the bear head still hanging behind his own.