Chapter 14

"Why did you leave me?" Serilla whispered, hand pressed up against the bubbling cylinder tank

"Why did you leave me?" Serilla whispered, hand pressed up against the bubbling cylinder tank. She saw her own body floating within, but its soul and mind were once someone else. Someone... very dear.

"It's unfair," Serilla tried to push back her rising emotions, but she knew she couldn't contain them for much longer. It was a sign of how defect she was, crying over something that should matter very little. She had managed to hide these defects well, but now that she was alone and about to embark on a journey that could very well end with her death, these false emotions were surging up within herself..

"Why..." she clutched her chest, feeling her heart pound louder than ever. "Why did you have to die!? It should have been me!"

She could see her as if she was alive just moments ago. Her smile, brighter than anything else she had ever seen. Her compassion greater than anyone else. She was the shining star that made her life worth living amidst her routine oriented existence. 

"Sister, oh sister," Serilla slid down the length of the tank to her knees, pounding the glass with one fist as she cried. "Why!? Why did you leave me!?"

...

Caster opened her eyes. She had been allowing herself to rest in a lovely armchair that she had designated as her favorite, but she had witnessed something that she'd already seen once before. Her Master, Serilla, alone in a dark room with all the Homunculi in the tanks, her purest emotions showing even if only for a time. 

Caster stood from the chair, clutching Viy to her chest as she walked over to where her Master was sleeping on the bed. She had refused to sleep until she had finished her task within her workshop, finally collapsing from exhaustion. Caster had carried her up to the bed chamber meant for the lord of the castle and put her beneath the covers. Then she had sat and watched over her, deciding to get some rest herself.

"It was not I who dreamt of that memory," Caster whispered, running her free hand through Serilla's lovely silver hair. "Tell me, Master. Why do you so long to forget your sister, the one who was your everything in life?"

Caster closed her eyes, squeezing Viy closer to her chest. She could see her own sister, laughing as both of them played in the snow. She could still hear her voice, like a lovely song replaying over and over. "She was very dear to me," Caster thought with a sad smile. "And despite what happened in the end, I would never want to forget my time with her for anything."

...

"Hahahaha, bet you can't catch me!"

Serilla watched in a haze, unable to fully comprehend what she was seeing. The world seemed to be in black and white, a heavy blanket of snow upon the ground. Two girls in dresses were running in the whiteness, seemingly unbothered by what looked to be a cold day. Off to the right stood a mansion, a forest surrounding the estate.