Chapter 8

"Ar-" Alena blinked, very much confused

"Ar-" Alena blinked, very much confused. "Archer?" She then scrambled away from him along the wall, averting her eyes. "Why aren't you wearing any clothes?"

"Oh?" Archer glanced down at his thin frame. "Sorry about that. I never have much need for such items usually." His body became obscured by snow before being blown away. Now he wore what looked like a polar bear skin, with the large paws draped over his back, and the head draped over his own. The skin hung from him like a cloak, his pale blue chest still on display, making him look like he had frostbite. His trousers were made from the skin as well as the fluffy boots he wore.

"Who," Alena shook her head, wondering if she was still dreaming. "Are you?"

He sighed, pulling back the bear's head and let it hang behind him. "I already said, I am Archer, the servant you have summoned, my dear Master."

"Servant? Master!?" Alena remembered that blonde guy, Jason, who had tried to kill her. Didn't he call the other guy with him 'Master' as well?

"If you need further proof," Archer closed the distance between them, grasping Alena's left wrist. Alena struggled to move, but he was stronger than he looked. She stopped when he held up her left hand, showing her the red symbol blazoned on the back. It appeared to be split into three parts, the left side jagged and wavy, like roaring flames, and the other appeared to be an intricate snowflake. Together they seemed to make some sort of circle with a smaller, smooth circle in the middle of them.  

"These are the proof of our contract," Archer continued as he let her hand go and it swung at her side. "These are command seals, they are what bind me to you."

"But I-" Alena couldn't keep up. This was too much. Was he something like Jason? But no, Jason called himself Saber, while this guy called himself Archer.

"Hm," Archer studied her. "By any chance, do you not know what I am?"

When she didn't answer, Archer groaned. "Do you not know of the Holy Grail either?"

"Isn't that..." Alena racked her brain. "Something from a myth?"

Archer ran his hand down his face. "Well, at least your not a complete novice, but your lack of information is... really bad."

"I'm sorry?" Alena backed away from him.

"Let me explain then," Archer said, smiling warmly, and Alena noticed for the first time that his lips were a pale blue. "The Holy Grail is a wish-granting device. Seven mages compete in a battle royal of sorts and they each summon a heroic spirit from the past to fight for them. The last Master/Servant pair standing are then granted a wish from the Grail." He frowned. "I think that's the gist of what the Holy Grail War is about."

He snapped his fingers. "Oh, right. Considering you knew next to nothing, you're probably confused on why my name is Archer." He sat cross-legged on the floor. "The seven servants summoned are those from seven different classes. There is the Saber class, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, Berserker, and of course," he placed his hand on his chest. "Me, of the Archer class."