1) Oh Boy

Follow Vote Comment

June 10th (89 days left of Summer)

"My life is so boring!" Dixie was trudging up the steps of  Addison's house thinking about what they could do that day, "I have nothing going on. Nothing new is happening, no thrilling drama. I'm just floating around town, living each day the same as the last. And that's not even taking into account my love life. That's been dead since 2009." She wasn't complaining, she knew how incredibly fortunate she was and she always took time to appreciate the wonderful things she could so easily take for granted. "I just wish my life had more... flavor."

She mindlessly opened the door and flopped down onto the couch to scroll through Instagram. She's been coming over here every day since she was 6, it's second nature.

"Hey Dix!" She turns to see Addison baking something in the kitchen. She hops up and wanders over to Addison, enjoying the smell of the rich chocolate batter. "Sup Addi, what are you making?"

"Cupcakes!" She puts down the whisk and turns to Dixie, visibly excited. "Noah comes home today!" Dixie is a little taken aback. He's been at college and they haven't seen him since Christmas. "Omg Addi! That's amazing! What time does he come?" She continues to whisk the batter, this time much quicker, as she bursts with joy.  "Well his flight lands in 2 hours and I gotta be there to pick him up, so we're leaving in an hour." 

"We?" She questions. "Yeah!" Addi chuckles. "Obviously you're coming with. Ah! I'm just so excited! I haven't seen him since Christmas. I mean I talk to him over the phone now and then. but it's not the same..."

She continues to ramble (as she always does) but Dixie is barely listening. She couldn't stop thinking about seeing Noah again. They met when she was 6 or 7 but they barely said 3 words to each other until 6th grade. Through Middle school, they talked fairly often about unimportant, surface-level topics. They went their separate ways in high school, every time they saw each other it was just small talk and a few jokes here and there (They have a similar sense of humor, so joking around with him always made her really happy) They really only talked in the hallways or when she was hanging with Addison.

He and Addison have always been extremely close.  Dixie sees the way Noah sticks up for her, and how willing he is to listen and help her through her problems. He's very protective of her, and she admires that.

Dixie blushes thinking about him, before quickly stopping in hopes Addison didn't notice. She's kind of had an on/off crush on him for a year or so. It really only comes back when she sees him. She was terrified to pick him up at the airport. 

Obviously, Addison doesn't know anything about her tiny crush. That's one of the reasons Noah and her could never date, she told herself. Addi would never forgive her! She remembers a previous late-night conversation between her and Addison:

"I'm not jealous, I'm not! I'm so proud of him it's just...I feel so much pressure to be as good as him. Yet we're totally different people. I mean how do you measure him, a soccer player, against me, studying to be a teacher! You can't, and yet everyone still does..."

She had talked so passionately that night, Dixie could tell she has felt this for a while. She could never date Noah, she didn't want to be the reason behind any stress caused to her best friend. Besides, it's not like he would've liked her anyway, so it was nothing to stress over.

"Dixie!" She snaps back into reality and sees Addison has put the cupcakes in the oven and is running up the stairs to go get ready. "How long was I thinking about Noah?" She runs upstairs right behind her and heads into her bathroom to get ready. She has plenty of makeup and clothes here already since she sleeps over practically every weekend and is pretty forgetful. She's already mostly ready, just touching up her makeup while Addison showers and gets changed.

"Alright, ready to go!" shouted Addison as she grabbed her keys. "Yep," Dixie hollered back, before whispering "As ready as I'll ever be." Addison starts the car and leaves the driveway. 

half an hour later

"AHHH!" Addison screams and jumps out of the car. Dixie looks up and sees the airport. How did that happen? She had dozed off thinking about seeing Noah again, what she would say, and time had just flown by. She hops out of the car, needing to speed walk to catch up to Addi.

"Someone's excited" Dixie teased. Addison giggles, "I just have so much to tell him! And we have new movies to watch! AHHH!" "Ow! Adds I'm glad to see you happy but I'd love to keep my hearing too" They burst out laughing and head into the airport.

They arrived at Noah's gate a little early and Dixie got hungry waiting. "I'm gonna go grab some Starbucks. Want anything?" She asks as she walks away. "No thanks, I'm good" Dixie expected that. She could tell Addison was to nervoucited to eat.  That's a word they made up (Dixie, Addison, and Noah) for when you were nervous but in a good way. You're excited that it's happening, but also really nervous. One of the many inside jokes they shared from their childhood.

She arrives at the front of the line and orders. "Can I please have a Matcha Green Tea Latte and a chocolate chip cookie?" She pays and waits for her order. "For Dixie?" She quickly walks to the counter and grabs her order. As she turns around she hears Addison let out a squeal.

There he is. Oh boy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

hey bubs! <3

Thank you so much for reading my first chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! I'd love to hear your feedback! FYI this will be a slow burn book (It will move at a slower but more realistic pace than other fanfics you may have read)  and will take place over 3 months! Another chapter coming soon! Check my news feed to find out when I post new chapters! Again, thank you so much! (word count- 1080)

Follow Vote Comment