23) Facing Griffin

Follow Vote Comment

(A/N reminder that I have another Doah book, go check that out if you haven't already!)

"Are you breaking up with me?" Noah's voice was shaking and he tried his best not to cry. The state of her boyfriend broke Dixie and she felt so awful, "No! No of course not, I would never!"

Noah slightly eased but was still as confused as ever. "Then what's going on?" Dixie took another deep breath. "Okay. I just, need to tell you something that happened last night. Before I tell you, just know... I'm not." Noah cocked his head, "You're not... you're not what?"

Dixie sighed, "I took a pregnancy test." Noah's eyes widened but he didn't say anything. Dixie stayed looking at her feet, "I threw up in the morning and missed my period. So just to be safe I had Addison get me a test and I took it last night a little while after you tried calling me."

Dixie glanced at Noah but she couldn't read his expression. "But it was negative and my doctor told me it was just stress. Most likely from missing you, ironically..."

It was silent for a few seconds before Noah started talking. "So then why didn't you tell me, if there was nothing wrong?" Dixie shook her head, "Honestly I don't know. I just got so nervous every time I even thought of you. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have ignored you but I just-"

"Hey, it's okay. Calm down, It's fine." Dixie had started to get choked up and Noah tried his best to calm her obvious nerves. After a few more seconds, "I miss you so much." Dixie stared at him and very slightly smiled, "Seriously? That's what you have to say?"

Noah laughs which helped Dixie smile. "Yes! I'm sad that I can't be there to hug you and tell you that everything is fine! I know this must have been hard, and I'm glad you told me instead of pretending like it didn't happen."

Dixie smiled more, "I love you so much." "I love you too baby! I'm sorry you had to go through that without me." "Well I'm sorry I ghosted you for so long." They talked for a little bit longer until everything had been adressed and Dixie could feel the weight lifted off her chest.

"Ok! So tell me about tomorrow! Are you nervous?" Noah threw his head back, "Ugh, like you wouldn't believe! I've been practicing non-stop but I'm just so worried." Tomorrow was the tryouts for soccer. There would be a few new boys trying out for the team, but the boys from last year wouldn't need to tryout.

Instead, the coach told them to come so they could all get back into the swing of things. And, most importantly to Noah, so he could re-evaluate the players and decide on a new team captain.

Since Noah was only a sophomore he needs to be significantly better than the Juniors and Seniors, and lucky for him he is. Or at least he was, but he was afraid everyone else had gotten much better than him over the summer.

"Don't be! You are one of the best players, the coach would be an idiot to not make you captain!" Noah laughed, "Thank you, but I'm just worried he'll pick someone else." "Well, who do you think is your competition?"

Noah thought for a moment, "Probably Blake and...Griffin." "Oh." Dixie and Noah hadn't spoken about him since the beach incident and Dixie had almost forgotten that it even happened. "Well, you deserve it, and you've been working your ass off. There's no point in wasting your energy worrying when it could be spent practicing." Noah smiled, "You're right, thank you."

"So then what exactly are you nervous about?" Noah bit his lip. "Well... I'm nervous to see Griffin. I haven't spoken to him at all since..." He trailed off so Dixie decided to step in.

"Noah, do not fight with him. It will do nothing but hinder your chances of being captain. "I know that. But I just know seeing him will make me so angry." "So think of me, and remind yourself to stay calm." Noah smiled, "Ok, I'll just rub my ring!"

"Oh! Right!" Dixie hopped up and skipped over to her nightstand. She grabbed the ring and slipped it back on her right ring finger. "Sorry, I took it off so I wouldn't think about you..." "It's okay Dix, I get it." She peacefully sighed at how amazingly supportive he was. "I love you!"

Noah faked a hair flip, "I know," to which Dixie burst out laughing, "Okay now I love you even more!" They continued to giggle and talk with each other for a few more hours.

"Ok, I wish we could talk more. But I've gotta rest for tomorrow." Oh yes, ok! Good luck! You're gonna do great!" They said their goodbyes and peacefully drifted off to sleep knowing their relationship was now doing better than ever.

--------------------

"Alright, listen up! I know you all want to be apart of this team, but I've only got 2 spots open. However," The coach turned away from the line of boys and looked at Noah and his other teammates. "If one or more of my boys has clearly been slacking, one of you may be their replacement."

The coach was clearly trying to intimidate his players, but it wasn't working on Noah. He knew he had improved, and he had a good relationship with his coach. He wasn't at all worried about being cut, but he really wanted to be captain.

"Ok, let's start with some basic drills." As Noah followed the coach's orders and ran the drills, he tried to evaluate his competition. He figured he'd be in the coach's top few, but he wouldn't be surprised if he ended up just being the coaches 3rd or 4th pick.

Luckily, there was rarely a time when Noah was forced to talk with Griffin. When he first saw him he got a little aggravated, but quickly calmed down with a quick memory of what Dixie said.

After over 2 hours of running drills and playing some scrimmages, the coach called all of them together. "Alright, you all did some great work out there. I'm going to pick just 2 of you to join the team, and I'll let you know who after school tomorrow. You guys can leave, but I need my boys to stay."

After the others left, the coach turned to the team members and continued, "So, I've missed you all. It feels great to be back and even better to see how hard you all worked over the summer. Many of you have greatly improved, and I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season.

"Now I know what you all are waiting for. I've narrowed down my options for a captain to 4 people. Blake, Tayler, Griffin, and Noah. We have a practice tomorrow, and after that, I'll have decided indefinitely who our captain will be."

Noah was so relieved. He and Blake were the youngest, while Griffin was a Junior and Tayler was a senior. His bones were practically shaking with how hard he had worked today but he knew he needed to rest to work even harder tomorrow. He was so close he could taste it, and there were only three people in his way.

"Hey, Noah!" He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself before he turned to face Griffin. "What?" Griffin laughed, "Woah dude calm down. I just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow."

Noah played with the ring on his finger and tried his best to stay calm. Griffin spoke in an arrogant tone and Noah could tell he was just trying to get on his nerves. "Thanks. You too."

"I know we haven't really talked recently, but I'm looking forward to playing with you again. I just hope you don't flip out again for no reason on me." Noah clenched his jaw and tried to hide the anger in his voice. "Yep. Can't wait."

He wanted to get away from Griffin as soon as possible. He turned around and walked swiftly in the direction of the locker room with Blake, Bryce and his other teammates.

"Hey, by the way. How's Dixie doing?"

That was it. Noah couldn't take it any longer. No ring, no thoughts, nothing could calm him. Griffin was trying to get under his skin and it worked. He might lose his chance at being captain but right now Noah wasn't thinking about that. All he cared about was that Griffin had hurt his girl, so he deserved to be hurt just as bad.

------------------------------

hey bubs! <3

I feel so bad I always make Griffin the villain in my stories lol I promise my next ones won't. He isn't actually a bad person lmao sorry. (word count- 1496)

Follow Vote Comment