Chapter 1

Nia rolled over in her sleep and covered her head with the purple duvet. She smiled and giggled as something tickled her stomach.

“Stop it,” she whispered laughing in her sleep.

“Nia,” a voice echoed around her.
“Hmm?”

“Nia!” the voice yelled closer.

“What is it?” she mumbled still smiling. Whatever it was on her stomach, it was very ticklish.

“Nia,” the voice called with more force.

Whack!

A hard slap was landed on her ass and the duvet was pulled off her. Nia sat up abruptly blinking as she focused on the figure of her younger sister.

“Ugh! Ana, its you. What do you want?”

“Mama has been calling you. Get up,” Adriana said.

“No, leave me alone,” she said laying back down on the bed. The white cat jumped up again to curl itself on her stomach. “Ugh, Missy, leave me alone. Adriana get your cat off my bed and out of my room,” Nia groaned closing her eyes.

“Why were you laughing when I came in?” Ana asked curiously.

Her eyes opened, “I was laughing?”

“Like an idiot.”

Nia scowled at her and closed her eyes. The clock beeped and she opened one eye. It was 9:00am.

“Jesus Christ!” she flew off the bed abruptly sending Missy flying across the room complaining loudly. The cat landed with a thud and shot out of the room crying. “I’m sorry Missy!” Nia called after the cat.

“Ohmigod! I’m so late and I have an interview today! Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” Nia yelled as she ran around the room trying to get ready. Ana stared at her with a dumbfounded expression.

“I have to go to the salon before I …ugh!” she suddenly stopped and glared at her sister, “Why are you still here? Get out! I have to get ready!” Nia said pushing Ana who sluggishly dragged her legs. “Can’t you go any faster?”

She finally pushed her out and slammed the door in her face.
Ana stared at the door and muttered under her breath, “Asshole.”

She walked into the kitchen and sat on a high stool.

“Is she ready yet?” Aida asked.

“No, she was still sleeping when I went in. She’ll be down soon.”

Aida nodded and dropped a plate of scrambled eggs and toast in front of her. Ana smiled, “Thanks mama.”

~~~~~

Nia came down dressed in jean shorts and a cropped shirt holding a white handbag.

“Are you going to the interview dressed like that?” Aida asked frowning as she held out a cup of tea.

“No mama, I need to go to the salon first. I need to remove these locks,” Nia said tugging on the black dreadlocks on her head.

“Why didn’t you do it yesterday?” Aida asked annoyed with her eldest child.

“Because it was Sunday, and I don’t go anywhere on Sundays,” Nia said blowing on her tea and then gulping it down while screaming inside. She had scalded her tongue in her hurry.

“Why can’t you do it tomorrow then?”

“I can’t. I must do it today, I don’t want to go to the company looking like this. Don’t worry ma, the interview is by 2, I’ll make it,” she said grabbing Ana’s toast chewing it hurriedly while ignoring her sister’s death glare. She swallowed the large lump and immediately started coughing. Nia slapped at her throat as it struggled to go down. Her eyes fell on Ana’s cup of tea and she grabbed it.