chapter 5

It was a beautiful Friday morning.

Nia dropped the usual cup of latte for Connor.

"Thanks Nia. You know, soon you won't have to do this anymore."

She grimaced. "Ugh, sir, you didn't have to remind me."

He chuckled deeply as she groaned and sat opposite him.

"I wonder what it would be like to work for someone who isn't you," she whispered.

He tilted his head thoughtfully, "Think of it as working for the younger version of me."

"Then that will be a nightmare cause you are exhausting," she said with a smile.

He smiled back and took a sip of the unsweetened coffee.

"Don't worry too much about it. Robert is a really nice boy. Stupid, but nice. I'm sure you'll like him."

I'm sure I won't.

"Whatever you say, you're the boss. I better get back to work then, don't want you piling up files for me before I can blink."

"Take this with you. I want it back before lunch please," Connor said handing her a thick blue file.

"Of course."

•••••

After a fruitful day at work, and a rather successful grocery shopping, not as successful as she would have hoped though. She couldn't find her favorite oatmeal to buy. She stopped the car at a red light and began mentally calculating her current funds and how long it would take before she could procure those papers.

Engrossed in her thoughts, she didn't notice the lights turn yellow, then green until a car hit her from behind. The car jerked forward and she gasped.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed as she switched off the ignition and unbuckled her seatbelt. "Someone is going to die today!" she muttered opening her car door and jumping out ready to fight the SOB that had the guts to hit her precious car.

Her steps slowed when she saw the car. A red Ferrari. Suddenly she didn't feel like fighting anymore. Glancing at the damage done to her car, she grimaced. The bumper was barely holding on to the rest of the car. But could she really blame anyone? Any little breeze that passed shook all the knots and windows in the car. She would have loved to dump it in the scrap yard, but she couldn't, not yet. The car was her best friend. Sighing, she pulled off the rest of the pitiable plastic and shoved it into the car slamming the hood shut.

This was additional expense that she hadn't planned for. It was going to make a huge dent in her wallet. Carefully she inspected the rest of the car, and when she didn't see any other damage, she whirled around to face the perpetrator of the crime ready to fight once again.

The only damage she could see on the Ferrari was a slight dent on the hood. The car looked new, nothing at all like her precious Volkswagen from the 19th century. That vehicle was vintage. Queen Elizabeth probably rode in it before a better alternative came along. Not really, it was what she told herself so she wouldn't feel too bad. She glanced at the tinted window of the Ferrari and frowned.

"Come out bitch so I can knock some sense into you," she muttered under her breath.

Her prayers were answered as the door opened and a feet stepped out. She gulped suddenly. She'd been expecting to see a female with long lashes and acrylic nails, not a feet that was so clearly male. You could tell by the suede shoes the person wore.

"Oh God, I don't feel so bold anymore" she whispered and nearly peed herself right there.

Still dressed in her work clothes, Nia smoothed her hands down her skirt as she waited for the driver to emerge.