chapter 21

"Come on Nia, please," Kate begged for the umpteenth time.

"No. This is stupid Kate. Why would you even think I'd want to go?"

Of all the stupid things Kate had done, this had got to go be the most stupid. She had set up a blind date for Nia with one of her co-workers.

"Please Mamacita. It will be fun, I promise."

Nia scowled at her. "You aren't going, so how do you know it will be fun? What makes you think his face won't annoy me? I might not like the way he chews, or swallows his water."

"C'mon Nia. He is my boss. If you don't go, I might get fired!" Kate pleaded desperately.

"You would deserve that," Nia said flatly and turned to the TV. "Should have thought about that before you set me up. And your boss?! Now that's just disgusting. Is he old?"

"No! He is young, and muscular, and has a big... "

"Don't complete that sentence thank you."

"Do you want me to lose my job?" Kate asked near tears.

"I'm sure Robert will employ you to shine his shoes," Nia said chuckling.

"That's not even funny at all," Kate said scowling. "Just go, I'll never set you up again. Never. Pinky promise?" She asked holding out her finger.

Nia harshly slapped her hand away.

"No you conniving bitch!"

*****

Still annoyed with herself for giving in, Nia walked into the restaurant and looked around. Kate had shown her a photo of the guy, but for the life of her, she couldn't remember what he looked like.

Her coat was taken away and she stood staring helplessly.

Oh Kate, when I get my hands on you...

"Do you have a reservation, miss?" The maítre d asked.

"Yes, I uh.. I'm supposed to meet someone here. I don't know if he has arrived."

"What's his name?"

Nia stared blankly.

"His name," she repeated.

"Yes."

Nia subtly pulled on the chain of her bracelet as she looked around. Then she spotted him, not because she remembered his name or face, but because he was waving frantically at her.

"Oh, there he is," she said with a short laugh. "I'll just go... " She said and he smiled.

She maneuvered her way around the tables of couples and businessmen dining. When she got closer to his table, he got up to pull out her chair. She smiled and said a polite thank you.

"Hi," he said smiling brightly and Nia squinted. "I'm James."

"Hi."

"You look beautiful."

"Thank you James. You look quite handsome yourself."

"Thanks Shanice. I really wanted to meet you. Kate has told me so many fascinating things about you."

"Has she now?" Nia asked looking around the restaurant.

It was fancy. The men and women seated at the tables were the upper class of the society.

"Yes. She told me how you're a great friend. You've been friends since your college days. Is that right?"

Nia looked at him. "Yes."