chapter 25

It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon and Nia was peacefully taking a nap. Actually she hadn't left her bed all day except to use the bathroom. Missy wasn't there to jump on her stomach and Ana wasn't around to snatch her blankets. She was peacefully alone on a Saturday.

It was just she and her bed. That is, until her phone decided to ring loudly.

Nia groaned. "Dios! Please leave me alone!"

Grumbling, she turned away and pulled the covers over her head hoping it would block out the ringing. It stopped for a minute and she sighed. She was halfway asleep when it began ringing again in earnest.

"Mierda!" She cursed and sat up with a grimace.

She had a pounding headache. Any little movement she made made her feel worse, like someone had taken a sledgehammer to her skull. Kate was right, she shouldn't have drunk so much when she knew she couldn't handle her hangovers.

Now she felt like shit.

Murmuring under her breath, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes and stared at her room blankly trying to remember why she sat up.

She was going to lie down again when the phone began ringing for the third time.

"Does this person not know when to stop?" She snapped and reached for the phone on the other side of the bed. "I just want to sleep," she groaned, "Is that too much to ask for?"

She tapped the bedside drawer blindly feeling for the phone. Her hand touched it and when she made to grab it, it slipped and fell with a clatter. That woke her from her drunken slumber.

She sat up hurriedly and picked the phone. The screen had cracked from the impact of the fall.

"Oh great, just great. My phone is broken."

She had to swipe twice before she could take the call.

"Hello?" She said breathlessly.

"You're awake, good."

"Huh?"

"Are you ready Smithy?" A voice asked and she sighed.

She should have known it was him, Robert. He was the only one that could call a hundred times till she picked up.

"Are you?" He promoted.

"Of course," she said absentmindedly. "Wait. Ready for what?"

She heard him sigh on the other end.

"Dad wants to see you, I'm sure I told you that. There are important details we need to go over with him. Didn't you read my text?"

"Oh shoot! That's today?" Nia shrieked as she vaulted off the bed and ran into the bathroom. She could hear him chuckle.

"You know, for an assistant, you're pretty forgetful."

She ignored him and spurted paste onto her toothbrush before shoving it into her mouth.

"Are you brushing your teeth while I'm talking?" He asked sounding amused.

Nia spat. "No sir."

"Just hurry up with whatever it is you're doing. I'll pick you up in an hour," he said. And with that he hung up.

Nia was sure she beat the speed of light with how fast she took a shower and massaged some oils into her hair.

Flinging her towel somewhere, she frantically searched her wardrobe for something suitable to wear.