chapter 48

NIA STROKED KATE'S hand and stared at the monitor. As long as those lines kept moving and the doctors kept doing their thing, she still had faith.

Hope.

Kate might have been beaten up badly and left to die, but she knew one thing the assailant didn't know; Kate was a damn cunt who was way too stubborn to die without exacting revenge first.

She stared at her skin and felt her heart soar when she noticed the bruises that had designed her lovely face that first day were slowly receding. They'd turned black now, but that was okay. The swelling on her face had also gone down considerably. She was healing and that's all that mattered. She didn't know about the inner injuries but, hey, it was going to take time, she knew that much, and the doctor said so.

Stretching out a hand, Nia brushed Kate's hair back and whispered, "You're going to be fine."

Getting to her feet, she walked over to the window and stared at the falling snow. It had begun snowing days ago to her vexation. The parking lot was blanketed by a thin layer of snow. The snow falls in the city were little, which was why she could bear the weather. Not than she hated winter, she just didn't like the cold.

It was Kate's favorite season though, and she was so unhappy that she wasn't awake to see it.

"When you wake up, and Ana is back, we'll go sledding."

She could almost imagine Kate asking 'even though you hate the snow in your hair?'

"Yes Kate, even though I hate it. We'll go as many times as you like." Her voice broke at the end as she added, "Just wake up, please, it's been weeks."

Sighing, she continued, "So, I know this is crazy, talking to myself I mean, but I do hope you can hear me, cause I need someone to talk to and you're the only one who ever listens to me."

The monitor beeped and she looked up. "I— "

She was interrupted by a low familiar knock on the door and sighed. "I have things to tell you but I gotta go, my faithful bodyguard's here."

"Hey," Robert complained and a small smile curved her lips as she crossed the room to stand by the bed.

"He's been hovering Kate," Nia leaned forward to whisper. "Like a mother hen. Not that I'm his chick or anything."

"I really hope you're telling her how handsome and considerable I am."

"Unfortunately no," Nia said with a dramatic sigh. "I was telling her how... " She paused and sent him a side glance then turned away as she picked her tan sling bag.

"You were telling her what?" He prompted.

"Trust me babe you don't wanna know."

She was almost at the door when she realized what she said and froze.

Bloody hell!

If he had heard what she said, he pretended not to notice because he walked over to Kate, held her hand for a moment, said a few words and then walked back to her. He silently took her hand like he always did and didn't comment on her red face.

Silently they took the elevator down and walked to the door. She was going to push it open when he stopped her. "Wait, Sam says he saw some paparazzi outside."

"What? Why? What do they want?"

"Apparently they want to know why I've been coming here everyday. You'll have to wear this," he said producing a black baseball cap she didn't notice he'd been holding.