chapter 49

SHE HAD WITHDRAWN from him, not just physically but emotionally too. She rarely conversed with him and even when she did she replied with single answers; yes, no, I don't know, okay. Robert sighed and scratched the back of his neck as he patiently waited for her to finish whispering whatever she was to Kate.

If only he knew what could improve her mood, he would do it in a heartbeat. Of course bringing her family back would definitely make her happy, but he couldn't do that because he had no idea where they were, and Lisa —the selfish conniving twat— was being tight lipped about it. For Christ's sake, why did everything have to be so damn complicated.

Nia finally took her bag and he pushed away from the wall. "Ready?" He asked and she nodded.

She walked ahead of him out of the building and said nothing the whole ride back home. Not that he didn't try to engage her in conversation, she just wasn't responsive. The vehicle had barely stopped moving when she hopped out and slammed the door behind her before running into the building. Willa tried to leap on her but she brushed the dog aside and ran in.

Robert patted her head when she came to sniff his hand. "It's not you, it's her. Just... leave her alone okay?" He said and Willa barked in response.

How long was she going to keep that attitude up? he wondered as he walked up the short flight of stairs. Days, weeks? Was it going to be a continuous thing or was it just a phase? God he hoped it was a short phase.

His thoughts were interrupted when his phone began ringing loudly in his pocket. "Yes?" He asked but all he heard on the other end was garbled speech. Dumb communication networks, he thought grimly and ended the call.

Pocketing the device, he locked the door behind him and was climbing up the stairs when the doorbell rang. Letting out a sigh, he walked back down and had barely opened it when something... or someone rather flew into his arms.

"Robert!" A voice squealed as he stumbled back. "I missed you!" She said squeezing him tighter. "Oh it feels nice to hug you again."

"Sally what are you doing here?" He asked trying to push her away from him but she didn't let go instead her grip on him tightened.

"Is that how to welcome your darling baby sister? How rude." She smiled up at him. "Let me hold you for a second okay? Yeesh, stop fighting." Robert sighed and looked up. "I'm spending christmas with you, remember? Don't worry, we'll work out the details after I find something to eat. God I'm starving!" She said as she let him go and began skipping to the kitchen.

He closed the door with a shake of his head and followed her.

"When did you arrive?" He asked while she rummaged through his fridge.

"An hour ago. Got held up at the airport because there was a mix-up with my suitcase and then I nearly sued the airline for wasting my time. But I had a change of heart cause I'm a good person— I know I am even though you think otherwise. Anyway, I went to your penthouse but all I saw was that blonde haired puss... sorry, woman. What's she doing in your house Robert?" Sally asked raising an arched brow. She didn't give him time to respond before continuing. "Anyway, when I couldn't find you there, I figured you'd be here, so here I am." She took a deep breath and turned to face him. "Did you miss me brother?"

"No."

"I know right! Of course you missed me. You can't live without me," she said as she took a sealed plate from the fridge and opened it. "Hmm, spaghetti. Can I have it?" He'd barely nodded when she said 'Thank you' and shoved it in the microwave. "But that's okay, cause I'm here now."