Chapter 2 - Learning

He gave me a name and I strangely wanted to keep it. I watched him pick up the object from the floor and sit down. He took a pencil to it and started moving his hand, creating strange lines. I learned what a pencil was from the scientists. I didn't say anything until he was finished.

Me: What is that?

Ink: It's a flower.

Me: No. What is that?

I said as I pointed towards the object he was holding. He realized what I was trying to ask about.

Ink: Oh, you mean this? It's a sketchbook. I use it to draw things on it with a pencil.

He went silent for a few moments.

Ink: I'm assuming you don't know what a lot of things are. I guess I can teach you.

He began to teach me many things that were astonishing to me. I learned colors, the clothing on our backs, and what the objects in my room were. The round disc was called a "clock" and its purpose was to tell time. I put the knowledge together, I realized that Ink would usually walk by at around nine o'clock. I also learned that Ink was wearing a brown colored scarf. He hasn't quite told me the use of it yet. That's when a question came to me.

Me: Ink. What is my purpose?

Ink: Your purpose is to turn the tides of war. Since you were designed with the highest technology, you can adapt to pretty much any environment. Your mind is always evolving, giving you the capability to analyze something and then make several actions based off of that single bit of information. You can also understand hundreds of things instantly, normal people can't do that. Since you don't need to eat or sleep, you're the perfect soldier.

Me: I see. And you?

Ink: My job is to keep the soldiers on their feet. I'm a care taker. I heal the wounds and entertain them until they can fight again.

Me: Are you here to entertain me?

Ink: I'm not actually allowed to interact with you. But I came here anyway because you seemed lonely. Oh right, lonely means you don't have anyone to talk to.

Now that I thought about it, Ink was right. The scientists never talked to me like he was. They always talked to me like I was just an object to them. The person in front of me was treating me with an emotion I've never known. I was confused by it but I didn't want him to go away. Ink went silent before drawing again, I took note of every single action that he did in my head. That's when he stood up and turned to leave.

Me: Where are you going?

Ink: Home. Unlike you, I need food. I'll see you tomorrow.

  He said before leaving the room. In his hand, I saw a small rectangle that he slid through a slot. A glowing red light turned to green, allowing him to open a door. I saw him walk by trough the familiar clear wall. When he was gone, I was left to my own devices. I replayed the moment between Ink and I in my head. The artist was extremely fascinating to me. I wanted to spend more time with him.

  Standing up, I walked to the door to follow Ink. As soon as I put my hand near it, a loud noise started blaring. Red smoke began to pump into the room which caused me to cough uncontrollably. The smoke was the same color as the liquid that the scientists would put into my arm using the syringe. My eye sight became blurred and my body weakened. Falling to the ground, I felt my mobility disappear.

  As I laid there, I saw people dressed in thick clothing barge into the room. They held large objects in their arms as they picked me up and drag me out of the room. I was then strapped to a bed in an empty space, with the red smoke constantly flowing in, keeping me at a paralyzed state.

(Time Skip)

  For what felt like eternity, I was strapped to that bed. I was unable to move or close my eyes because of the red smoke. The door to the room opened. The leader scientist walked in, holding a board in his hands. He wasn't affected by the gas, like I was.

???: Good. It seems the Athenal Oxide works.

  Managing all of my power, I tried to speak.

Me: What... did... you do... to me?

  The scientist exhaled a breath before pulling out a syringe full of that red liquid. He clinked it with his finger.

???: Athenal Oxide. A chemical created specifically for you. This little beauty is able to keep you in a motionless state, when in it's in gas form. When it's a liquid, it can completely shut you down for a certain amount of time. When you got close to the door, you activated the chemical. I'll let it slide this time, since you didn't know about it.

  Another scientist walked in. They looked at each other. Different words started coming out of their mouths, they were communicating with each other. Something clicked in my mind, making me remember what Ink said to me.

'Ink said I could understand hundreds of things instantly. Is this one of them? Can I understand forms of communication?'

???: Did you take away Agent Comyet's security card?

???: Yes sir.

???: Make sure he stays with the wounded soldiers. I don't want him interacting with our weapon.

I don't think they realized that I could understand them. My eyes widened when the fact that I couldn't see Ink finally processed.

(Five Years Later)

I sat on my bed, waiting patiently. I treasured these few seconds. That's when I saw him... Ink. When he passed by, he exchanged a glance with me. His brown scarf flowed behind. Then he was gone. Once he was out of my sight, I went back to the being the weapon that the scientists created.

There was only one emotion that I was acquainted with. The only thing I felt... was rage. They ran me through tests, injected me with chemicals, and threatened me with Athenal Oxide. However, the only time I didn't feel anger... was when I saw Ink. I replayed every memory in my head of when I saw him, when we spoke to each other. I wanted to interact with him again. There was desire...

I desired to be with Ink

A Quick Discussion

Error is a monster but he acts like artificial intelligence. He's always learning, always evolving.

He can understand languages, analyze the smallest detail, make algorithms in his head.